• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 XJ - Fuel pump replacement-HELP

MarkH

NAXJA Forum User
Well, after reading all the previous related posts to "hard starting", I'm convinced I have the typical check valve issue with my fuel pump. I can always start it, if I turn the ignition halfway & waiting a few seconds (to build up fuel pressure) ... so it's not a big deal right now. Interestingly, I also found that if I park facing downhill, it starts right away the next day... but not so if I park facing uphill or on the flat. Gravity.

So, who can tell me what's involved with replacing the fuel pump and where to buy it? thanx --Mark

Before going to all the trouble of droping the tank and all go hit up a local parts store and pick up a couple of cans/bottles of either Chevron Techron FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER [not Fuel injector cleaner] or SeaFoam and dump it in your tank. Often that will clean the valve up and allow it to start functioning again. The ones I have looked at were generally crudded up with a varnish looking stuff. I use either chevron, valvoline or seafoam fuel SYSTEM cleaners every 5-8000mi.
Dropping the tank is a PIA, figure 4 hours in the driveway, half hour or so more if you have skid/hitch to free up the mounting bolts on those. If you do have the hitch or skid soak those bolts a week in advance, 2x a day and you might even want to go get a new set of the plates for inside the frame rails, when I put my tomken rear bumper on two years ago those nut plates were in not so good shape. If it had been a weekday I would have ordered a new set and used them while I had the bumper off. Those bolts had been in and out yearly and had been anti-seized more than once but the plates and nuts themselves were all corroded. Next time I get the plates they are going to get sprayed with a better anti-corrosive paint.
Actually thats a good idea, think I'm going to order a set today and prep them, just in case my fuel pump fails, can't hurt to have them on hand.

I'll try the "genie in the bottle" and report back. I had heard that the fuel pump can be replaced without dropping the tank. Is that true?

You gotta drop the tank to replace the fuel filter. Click here for a fairly decent write up on what to expect...

MarkH said:
I'll try the "genie in the bottle" and report back. I had heard that the fuel pump can be replaced without dropping the tank. Is that true?

Not on the newer ones, no space between the tank and the bottom of the floor like the older ones.

Mark H-How did it go? I had Seafoam in mine when I changed the fuel pump. Which fixed it for a while, but now the problem is back. Enlighten me on the check valve. My search button doesn't work very well. I must always choose the wrong phrases. It is worth it for me to take the tank back off.

On mine we just took the two staps off and the tank came down. The wiring was staight forward. The PITA was putting the whole pump mechanism back in. It works like a spring and pushes the tank apart/open. I had to set my tank on two 2x4s and push down/stand on the thing while someone else started the big plastic nut. Taking apart was easy putting back together required a rest brake with beer.

Ivan said:
You gotta drop the tank to replace the fuel filter. Click here for a fairly decent write up on what to expect...

Ok I just read the write up and on his 99, he has a fuel filter/strainer on the bottom of the assembly. I've never seen this part listed for my 98 in any of the dealer parts listings, even when I went to the dealer. Is this something they changed in 99?

no, nothinh has changed, you should still have a strainer in the tank and on the bottom of fuel pump assm, the "filter" is actully part or the fuel regulator and you dont have to pull th eoump to change that. it sits on top of the fuel pump assm and outside of the tank. the strainer can be had at moperparts.com for 11ish buck(couldnt find local) and the regulator/filter was 80ish bucks from same place.

lazarus said:
no, nothinh has changed, you should still have a strainer in the tank and on the bottom of fuel pump assm, the "filter" is actully part or the fuel regulator and you dont have to pull th eoump to change that. it sits on top of the fuel pump assm and outside of the tank. the strainer can be had at moperparts.com for 11ish buck(couldnt find local) and the regulator/filter was 80ish bucks from same place.

Do you have a part number for that, I just checked out their website and didn't see it. TIA

I've dropped the tank three times to do this on my '98, first to change strainer, second to prove a shop didn't replace a pump I thought went bad when sender (attached to pump) died, and third - a month ago - to replace w/$315 oem unit.

At work now, can't go into details, pm me and I'll walk you through all the cool details I learned the HARD WAY... (later tonite).

I may not know tire plugs, but I've paid my dues w/this monstrosity :lecture:

Mike

Well, I searched the box a little harder and I found the strainer, in the bottom. So I think I have all the parts.

FYI, I called the dealer and at least mine, doesn't list the strainer for 98+, but they do list it for the 97's, the parts guy and myself didn't understand it. And, from at least my dealer, they are $25.25 a piece.

Thanks for all the great info I just replaced my pump today. Could not have done it without the forum and it's great members. Thanks

Back