• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame stiffener interference

IanGlaser-XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I am owner of 99 xj, next days i'm going to put hooligan front unibody frame stiffeners and front member stiffener, the question here is tyhe next, what can I do for the trackbar, this is going to increase like 3/16 outside the unibody? so the the holes that bolts up the trackbar bracket will be misaligned, how do you deal with this?

thank you !

An adjustable track bar would solve the problem.

Good time to change the bracket as well and move to double shear.

Yes the holes will be misaligned. And with the Hooligan stiffeners, since they wrap around two sides, the holes will be misaligned on both the side and the bottom of the bracket. The solution is to elongate the holes as need to get the nuts/bolts back on, and then to also weld the bracket to the stiffener.

A die grinder or a Dremel with a carbide burr/rotary file will handle the elongation job.

As already suggested, moving to double shear would be a good idea. Try to get a bracket in bare steel so you don't have to grind off a bunch of powder coating. I know Core 4x4 will sell you a bare bracket if you make a special request.

If you already have an aftermarket track bar with a 5/8" heim end you can make it work with the double shear by adding a pair of misalignment spacers, perhaps some hardened 1/2" washers and a Grade 8 1/2" bolt (probably about 3 1/2" long).

Yes the holes will be misaligned. And with the Hooligan stiffeners, since they wrap around two sides, the holes will be misaligned on both the side and the bottom of the bracket. The solution is to elongate the holes as need to get the nuts/bolts back on, and then to also weld the bracket to the stiffener.

A die grinder or a Dremel with a carbide burr/rotary file will handle the elongation job.

As already suggested, moving to double shear would be a good idea. Try to get a bracket in bare steel so you don't have to grind off a bunch of powder coating. I know Core 4x4 will sell you a bare bracket if you make a special request.

If you already have an aftermarket track bar with a 5/8" heim end you can make it work with the double shear by adding a pair of misalignment spacers, perhaps some hardened 1/2" washers and a Grade 8 1/2" bolt (probably about 3 1/2" long).
is there anything i can do, if for the next to months I run my xj with the stiffeners, stock trackbar and stock bracket?
it is just my daily driven, from home to work and back, actually I'm saving money for my full traction long arms kit.

I have not tried slotting the holes on the stock bracket, but I should think it is feasible. I can't think of anything that would prevent you from doing that.

I would start with slotting the holes and bolting it on and only consider welding it if there are deathwobble problems.

I doubt there is anything you could do about the 3/16" worth of difference in length on the factory track bar. I think you will just have to live with that being incorrect for the time it takes to get to the next stage. It might not even make a noticeable difference, besides putting the steering wheel off center, and that you can easily adjust with the drag link.

id advise to weld the trackbar bracket on after you slot the holes to fit again. there isnt much material there. not a full perimeter weld, but enough stitch weld to keep it rock solid. i could never keep mine tight... but keep in mind you are going to want/need to cut it off one day. stitch weld it where you know you can get a grinder in there to cut it back off.

I have not tried slotting the holes on the stock bracket, but I should think it is feasible. I can't think of anything that would prevent you from doing that.

I would start with slotting the holes and bolting it on and only consider welding it if there are deathwobble problems.

I doubt there is anything you could do about the 3/16" worth of difference in length on the factory track bar. I think you will just have to live with that being incorrect for the time it takes to get to the next stage. It might not even make a noticeable difference, besides putting the steering wheel off center, and that you can easily adjust with the drag link.

Just and Update and question.

I already weld the front stiffeners by sections just as Hooligans Instructions says.
I saw that most of the jeepspeed series XJ's even most of the people have fully welded the stiffeners, so what do I do, by sections? or complete?

We already make to work the trackbar OEM BRACKET.

How can I post pictures here in NAXJA i would like to do a post of my cherokee?

I don't think that fully welding the stiffeners is such a good idea. Perhaps it makes sense if tying in with a cage or other reinforcement, but if you are just trying to add rigidity to an otherwise stock chassis I think fully welding the stiffeners will result in a weak area right along the edge of the welded stiffeners. I don't know that "stress riser" is quite the right term for this situation, but it is comparable.

As to images, that is one of the things the Board of Directors is actively working to improve. There should be news on that someday soon. But for now, you have to host your images somewhere else and then link to them here.

Back