• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 no start

mcdermott6555

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I just bought my first Jeep. Its a 1990 Cherokee with the 4.0 and automatic. It has 110000 miles. It was in a minor accident and has not run since. It was hit on the front corner of the passenger front fender. I am wondering if there is some wiring or relays there that may have been damaged. It ran good up till the mishap. The Jeep is about 200 miles from my home and I have not been to its location to troubleshoot it yet. I am trying to get info so I can hopefully get it started and drive it home rather than towing it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank You !!

That's where the battery is located as well as the fuse box with relays for fuel pump, ignition, Auto Shut Down, etc. I would check all that stuff, bring some extra relays and fuses. Maybe the battery cables got pinched, who knows. That's the first step. You'll want to check if it's getting fuel and spark first, though. That will help steer you in the right direction for diagnosis.

2X,The coil & ignition module on your Renix XJ are also located on rt inner fender. Most of your engine electronics are on that side. Hopefully it'll be something readily identifiable & minor. 110K is barely broken in for a Jeep, let's hope it's a keeper. Borrow or buy a Chiltons or Haynes manual, it'll be a great help in troubleshooting the electronics.

Thank You all for the replys. I have access to a parts truck and plan to take a relay box and relays and anything else that looks like it might be damaged from that area with me. The guy I bought it from says he can not hear the fuel pump run when he trys to start it. Is the fuel pump relay in that area? BTW this is a one owner truck. The interior is like new and he said all asessories worked prior to the accident. His son hit the end of a guard rail with it. The point of impact was the pass side headlight. He is including a new fender and hood and a used bumper with the Jeep. Thanks Again :)

Back