• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 drain plug

luvherinmyjeep32

NAXJA Forum User
whats the spec's on the transmission drain plug in my 89 xj with the 4 speed auto? im thinking about threading a temp sensor into that whole so i don't have to make a new whole anywhere.

Putting a temperature sensor in the sump isn't going to give you an accurate reading - it's going to be cooler than actual.

The best place to put the sensor would be in the line going FROM the transmission TO the cooler - that way, you can get a reading on the transmission fluid after it's done its work, but it hasn't been coolect yet (giving you a more accurate picture.)

You can get away with putting a "t" fitting into the line - cut the line, splice in the run of the T, and the thread the sensor into the branch. The hose should accept a 3/8" OD tube, and you can get "T" fittings that will have a different size on the branch (stem) of the T at most hardware stores.

Check your sensor also - it may be self-grounding (one-wire,) and you'll need to make sure to ground the T fitting to a convenient chassis earth to get the sensor to read.

Not sure I'd want a temp sensor hanging down under either. Too easy to snag and rip it off. I vote for putting it in the cooler line as well.

"The best place to put the sensor would be in the line going FROM the transmission TO the cooler - that way, you can get a reading on the transmission fluid after it's done its work, but it hasn't been coolect yet (giving you a more accurate picture.)"

Agree with the statement-just placed a B&M trans temp setup in-it includes the T-housing which I spliced into the trans line from the trans to the radiator/cooler. Make sure it is tight and use silicone wrap or copper rtv to seal the threads-rtv copper for the one that is self grounding. Find a good location and away from the pan/drain plug.

5-90 said:
Putting a temperature sensor in the sump isn't going to give you an accurate reading - it's going to be cooler than actual.

The best place to put the sensor would be in the line going FROM the transmission TO the cooler - that way, you can get a reading on the transmission fluid after it's done its work, but it hasn't been coolect yet (giving you a more accurate picture.)

You can get away with putting a "t" fitting into the line - cut the line, splice in the run of the T, and the thread the sensor into the branch. The hose should accept a 3/8" OD tube, and you can get "T" fittings that will have a different size on the branch (stem) of the T at most hardware stores.

That's what I tried to tell him but he wants to keep things simple.

lawsoncl said:
Not sure I'd want a temp sensor hanging down under either. Too easy to snag and rip it off. I vote for putting it in the cooler line as well.
He has a belly pan that covers his transmission, so snagging it won't be a problem (he says).

5-90 said:

Check your sensor also - it may be self-grounding (one-wire,) and you'll need to make sure to ground the T fitting to a convenient chassis earth to get the sensor to read.
I just wanted to say thanks. I took your advice, and I was able to build a t-fitting with a little help from the guy at the hardware store. I just got done installing it and so far so good. It turned out to be a lot easier than I thought. I still have to finish the wiring tomorrow. Anyway, thanks again.

Back