• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB midland 75-822 cigarette adapter removal, or not, your recommendations

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

I have a midland CB radio 75-822. now this radio comes with a battery base and a cigarette lighter power adapter base.

Can it be done from its stock wiring, and/or would anyone recommend splicing a solid connection to a 12 source?

the only reason for doing this is to make sure a cigarette light connection does not fall out on the trail.
its a versatile radio which if it can be modded as above, I dont believe I will loose anything, perhaps even gain clarity by having a straight 12v connection.

anyhow, im digging into options still as i know very little, Im asking those here that have been there done that for any help....

thank you all.

~ Matt

Well the cig lighter outlet allows some portability of the cb radio. You should be able to secure the cig lighter such that it dont shake loose. there are more than one type standard lighter sockets, a mismatch can cause a loose connection. I know some european cars have a lighter socket that some plugs are loose in, a piece of tape around the plug fattens it up enough to keep it in place.

Unless you have defective lighter plug, socket, wires, you shouldnt gain any performance by direct wiring.

up to you.

I would go straight to 12V, with a fuse (of course) and maybe a QD connector to remove if necessary.
The stock cig/lighter circuit only has key on power.
I use the 2-wire trailer connectors for powered accessories.

I will probably upgrade to the "mini" Anderson-style connectors as Anak has. But these work good and are available almost anywhere if one needed to repair/replace.

I've run a lighter plug on my CB for years, never had a problem with it coming loose/falling out. Long as the plug you put on fits nice and snug into the socket you'd probably be ok.

Johnnie, I know in my '92 the lighter socket is actually a lighter socket and is key-on only, but I thought the 97+ models had "12V power sockets" and were always on?

I've run a lighter plug on my CB for years, never had a problem with it coming loose/falling out. Long as the plug you put on fits nice and snug into the socket you'd probably be ok.

Johnnie, I know in my '92 the lighter socket is actually a lighter socket and is key-on only, but I thought the 97+ models had "12V power sockets" and were always on?
I am aware that late model XJ had 2, one of which being a power point. Not sure whether always on or if keyed power.

Either way, I think saving the lighter/power point for something else makes more sense.

I ran a fused 12v from my battery, grounded to body and had a quite alternator whine I could never fix. God forbid if the rad fan turned on. But when it was off and I was talking, I’d get out good. Not base station good, but pretty good for a jeep with a 102” whip and a poor ground plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back