• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When does the EGR activate?

jrowell

NAXJA Forum User
Got this cool little REM device that tells me whats going on with my RENIX real time. While scanning through all the options I notice that my EGR doesn't go into on mode very often. When is the EGR supposed to activate?

During rapid deceleration, like brakes applied on the freeway, rapidly slowing down as I recall. Going from say 3000 rpm (in gear or not) to idle on the gas peddle.

Got this cool little REM device that tells me whats going on with my RENIX real time. While scanning through all the options I notice that my EGR doesn't go into on mode very often. When is the EGR supposed to activate?

Which REM version do you have?

Great little unit. Very happy with it.
5c97028fb2af344d7248a34665f48661.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If these are the only times it activates, how would the EGR affect a smog test?

If it works properly it reduces NOx emissions when it opens by keeping the engine from running too lean.

If it stays open when it should be closed it screws with, dilutes, the O2 concentration, making the ECU think the engine is running lean, and so it adds fuel when it should.

IIRC.

I'd have to sleep on it for a day to recall the rest of what I once knew about that answer.

How does the REM determine when the Renix EGR is open if it's not controlled by the engine computer? The EGR valve is vacuum operated with a CTO switch that blocks the vacuum if the engine temp is below 100*F, and you may also have a thermal switch in the air cleaner housing to block the vacuum if the air temp is below 40*F.

The REM is a brand new, next generation, live data scanner for Renix ECUs :D that reads the ECU data stream and spies on it :)

So when the Renix ECU commands the EGR to open, the REM scanner displays :guitar: that command.

I am waiting for the final version to come out. It has about 10 versions and 20 open programming updates already. The guy making them must have made over 150 of them already.

And yes, the Renix does have a thermal switch but it does not get involved directly with the EGR. It operates a diverter intake air valve in the filter box to an air intake hose that pulls hot exhaust manifold air into the intake during the warm up period.

How does the REM determine when the Renix EGR is open if it's not controlled by the engine computer? The EGR valve is vacuum operated with a CTO switch that blocks the vacuum if the engine temp is below 100*F, and you may also have a thermal switch in the air cleaner housing to block the vacuum if the air temp is below 40*F.

The REM is a brand new, next generation, live data scanner for Renix ECUs :D that reads the ECU data stream and spies on it :)

So when the Renix ECU commands the EGR to open, the REM scanner displays :guitar: that command.

I am waiting for the final version to come out. It has about 10 versions and 20 open programming updates already. The guy making them must have made over 150 of them already.

And yes, the Renix does have a thermal switch but it does not get involved directly with the EGR. It operates a diverter intake air valve in the filter box to an air intake hose that pulls hot exhaust manifold air into the intake during the warm up period.
I'm glad you were able to answer that cause the only explanation I could come up with is magic!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Okay, feeling dumb now. The electrical solenoid is right there next to the ballast resistor.

He has a user account here, but I follow him on facebook. He also has a lot of Renix you tube videos he has been doing the last year. There is an REM post in the OEM forum from about 6 months ago also. Here is the URL from facebook, Just google nickintimefilms or use this link to get all the links to him. Very VERY bright young fellow.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=5t......0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..2.0.0....0.8eKQbzk370k

Back