• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it safe to press in a leaf spring bushing with a C-Clamp?

Warploxx

NAXJA Forum User
Someone beat this truck before i bought it because the suspension is in desperate need of repairs. I've taken the broken leaf springs out and bought new springs, shackles and bushings. Since this is my first time doing this I've read a bit on this site about replacing them. Putting them in the freezer, using a little lube and a BFH. None of witch i have access to accept the freezer. So I'm wondering if some regular grease and a C-Clap will work without breaking anything.

Last edited:
I think it could be done with a good C-clamp, but you will need some sort of receiving cup for the back side and a good way to distribute pressure on the front side. The bushing is wider than the leaf spring. It needs to be centered with something like 3/16" or 1/4" extending beyond each side of the leaf spring.

Also note that a "good C-clamp" will have Acme threads. Look them up if you are not familiar with them. You should also notice that these are the type of threads used in vises too. I have noticed that there are some cheap C-clamps being made with V-shaped threads. I don't know who is smoking what, but that is not a good product.

Your best bet might be to see if you have an auto parts store that will rent you a ball joint press. You will have to see if that has a receiving cup of the correct diameter, but it should at least have a good C-clamp.

As to a lubricant, white lithium grease is generally my first choice.

And you should ask for a good BFH for Christmas. No one should be without such a basic, multi-purpose tool. At least, not in America.

Polyurethane bushings for the win! Pound one half in with a rubber mallet, flip the spring, pound the other half in, pound the bushing sleeve in, done. They also don't crack or dry rot like rubber.

This is on my too do list also, what part numbers and where (link?) did you buy yours? I am planning to buy new springs but with the bushings already installed. I may even need a lot of the other mounting hardware on mine :(
Be curious what all you are doing from start to finish. I have never tackled badly rusted busted leaf spring assy before. Did you find a good how to link?

Someone beat this truck before i bought it because the suspension is in desperate need of repairs. I've taken the broken leaf springs out and bought new springs, shackles and bushings. Since this is my first time doing this I've read a bit on this site about replacing them. Putting them in the freezer, using a little lube and a BFH. None of witch i have access to accept the freezer. So I'm wondering if some regular grease and a C-Clap will work without breaking anything.

I would go with Dorman 929-301 springs for stock replacements. I would NOT buy the Dorman shackle kit however. The bushings were misaligned & the replacement bolts and nuts were stamped 9.8 or 10.9 but felt like aluminum. A magnet did stick to them. I bought that stuff from the dealer.

You don't have a BFH?! Stop everything and go buy one. So many problems are solved with a BFH.

This. Using one that is too small will just end up breaking things.

Back