• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering return hose

jstaples

NAXJA Forum User
I recently replaced a failed power steering pump. The hardest part of the job was getting the return hose off the old pump and back on the new pump. I broke the plastic resevoir trying to get the hose off so I was afraid to wiggle and push the hose too much to get it on the new resevoir. It's barely on right now but it's managed to stay on so far. Any tips or tricks? I might replace the hose when the weather warms up.

One word:

LUBRICATION

Take the hose off, lube the shaft and tip (oil, tranny fluid, etc.) work it back on there. You should have it on the nipple and up into it about an inch. Clamp it.

Don't count on it barely managing to stay on. P/S fluid is flammable when hot.

I used power steering fluid as a lubricant but it was still near impossible to get the hose back on. I also tried making the hose stretch up some with a needle nose pliers but that helped only a little. I considered heating the hose but didn't know if that would weaken the hose.

Are you using the right size hose? The return line is 3/8"ID and tranny cooler hose will work fine. I prefer Gates transmission oil cooler hose. I use fuel injection hose clamps on everything and I double clamp at the connection to the steering box.

Get a can full of boiling water (or very Hot water) ,dip end of hose in it,,,,,wait for it to warm up,,,,,wait,,,, now push the warm hose on the nipple,,,,:D

Back