• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which tube on the radiator heat exchanger goes to the trans???

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
I'm stuck replacing all the trans cooler lines and forgot which line in the radiator goes to the trans and which to the external trans cooler?

Is the long metal line in the rad's top the one coming from the trans???

Stuck with kids waitin' for dinner till I get this buttoned up lol.

follow them from the transmission. on a late model the rear fitting on the trans is the return, the front is the send.

All the soft lines are disconnected and I didn't pay attention when I took them all off hence the slight confusion:looney:
I know which is which on the trans, but not which is feed and return on the lines going in to the radiator's heat exchanger. Therein lies my issue.

Bump. Mine's a 96, from my understanding a crossover year.
trans feed is from front of trans.
So do I hook the trans cooler to the radiator's top or bottom line?

Bump. Mine's a 96, from my understanding a crossover year.
trans feed is from front of trans.

I've searched and gotten conflicting answers.
The FSM says trans to top of rad, but many say that is backwards.
So effin confused...
So do I hook the feed line from trans to the radiator's top or bottom line?

ttt. Need to get to work tonight lol.
Anyone? From trans to top or bottom of radiator?
Does it really matter which way the fluid in the heat exchanger flows?
?

It should flow in the bottom and then out the top of the rad (vertically) back to the trans. Add a cooler inline after it leaves the top like of the rad

Found some pics from when I got it from the USFS.
IT appears the front pas side/feed line from the trans went to the top radiator fitting, then from the bottom rad fitting to the trans cooler then to the trans.

Common sense says the fluid should fill from bottom to top, but they had it top to bottom.
I've read that at some year they changed the routing in the rad.
On threads I've found about 98s and 01s the trans feeds to the bottom of the rad.
Did older XJs feed from the top?

Sent you a PM.

Coolers do not have directions, you can feed them either way.

Pipe in this order:

Trans Out > Radiator Cooler > External Cooler > Trans In.

A gauche way of telling which trans line is in and which one is out is to start the Jeep and put it in a gear for a second. The line with the huge puddle under it is the Out line ;)

Coolers do not have directions, you can feed them either way.

Pipe in this order:

Trans Out > Radiator Cooler > External Cooler > Trans In.

A gauche way of telling which trans line is in and which one is out is to start the Jeep and put it in a gear for a second. The line with the huge puddle under it is the Out line ;)

Yep.

Link to B&M racing instructions: http://bmracing.com/wp-bnmcont/uploads/bm_cooler_techdoc.pdf

On all transmissions that I can think of, the line that is closest to the bell housing is the "out" flow.

This is because fluid that is going out to the cooler just came out of the torque converter, and it is in the bell housing.

Fluid returning from the cooler pumped into the lube circuits.

Back