• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Pattern check

menos

NAXJA Forum User
BL .007"

Drive1.jpg

Coast1.jpg

Opinions?

Looks to me like the pinion is too close. Remove a little bit from behind the pinion!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll play with it some more tomorrow and see what I get.

I finally had a chance to play with it. I pulled .005 out of the pinion depth and reset the backlash to .007

Coast2.jpg

Drive2.jpg

didnt seem to change much. still too deep on the pinion if you ask me. hopefully someone with more smarts can give advice.

I guess it could probably lose a few more thousandths behind the pinion, but it looks much better. Just depends how inspired you are to get it perfect--it's definitely good enough to run.

Being in the front and I don't run full-time it's not as critical that the pattern be perfect, right?

As far as i know, yeah. I left mine about where you have yours (those front gears were a bitch, sheesh...), and it's never made any noise even when i'm in 4wd.

I pulled another .005 out from the pinion and reset bl to .007-.008

gear3a.jpg

gear3b.jpg

Maybe too much? Add back a little?

on a similar note, i have a dana 44 which i'll be swapping the lockright locker out for an elocker. i will be reusing the gears in there. do you guys think i'll have to reshim the pinion if i'm not pulling it out? seems to me that i shouldnt have to since i'm using the same ring and pinion, as long as i set the backlash properly.

Pull the shims off the stock carrier and use them on the e-locker. As long as the backlash comes in right, you should be fine.
thanks! however it has a lockright in there now, so not stock if that matters. i can throw it on the granite plate and measure both with a height gage if needed to see if the ring mounting surface is the same in relation to the bearing surface, and adjust accordingly if needed.

sorry for taking this off topic.

Pull the shims off the stock carrier and use them on the e-locker. As long as the backlash comes in right, you should be fine.

That ain't gonna work. A stock d30 carrier shim has to small of a I'd to fit over a d30 e-locker bearing seat. Then bearing for a elocker is larger then stock.

This pic says alot,always pull a full pattern of the entire gear.Even with the best gears available there is always run out in the gears or carrier.
gear3b.jpg

Latest attempt. Added a little bit back into the pinion shim stack and reset backlash to .007.

gear4a.jpg

gear4b.jpg

The most recent pattern looks good, you don't need to worry about the coast side of the gear teeth, the drive side is what you need to worry about and it looks good.

That ain't gonna work. A stock d30 carrier shim has to small of a I'd to fit over a d30 e-locker bearing seat. Then bearing for a elocker is larger then stock.
thanks, however i was refering to swapping out a lockright for an elocker in a D44, not a d30. not sure if what you said is also the same for the D44, i'd be interested to know.

i like this thread, it gives me more of an idea of what i'll be doing very soon.:thumbup:

+1, i think you nailed it this time. Put it back together and go drive it :)

Back