• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pan drain plug

deesiexj

NAXJA Forum User
So, as a favor the other day, my mom took my Jeep to get an oil change while I was at work. However, she didn't ask if it needed one, so I traded almost brand new synthetic for new dino oil. Dang, there's 5k miles in oil down the drain, plus mixed dino and synthetic in my engine.
Today, I decided to put synthetic back in, so I drained the crap out of it, and go to put my drain plug back in to refill everything when I notice I'm having some trouble with it. I took a closer look and the threads on the oil plan are crossthreaded.
So, my nice oil is replaced by crap and then the threads get destroyed as a nice present.
Am I screwed, or is this the kind of thing I can get a thread tapping kit and fix myself? Any other options?

Bring it back to the quicklube that raped it and demand that they make it right - do not accept a "last chance" oil plug, do not accept a tap&replace, accept nothing but a replacement oil pan and oil pan gasket. They fouled it up, they should fix it. I know for a fact that Valvoline will replace them because one of my co-workers in high school got canned for doing this to several vehicles in one day, we replaced the oil pans and left the old ones in the break room as a reminder. Not sure if Jiffy Lube and other chains will do this also (since I never worked anywhere else), but they should.

If they do not make it right, hit small claims court... not joking. all-thumbs mechanics are a bad thing for everyone. If it goes this far, get a quote for having the pan replaced at a dealer and claim for that much, then you have the choice of going to the junkyard and picking up a new pan and pocketing the difference, or having the dealer or another mechanic do it for you.

I am most shocked by the fact you let your mom drive your XJ.

There is a lesson to be learned here...

Anyway, I would follow Kastein's advice on this one.

Ha, it wasn't a 'let'...It was a 'taking it while I was at work'. And I know the lesson, it's one I learned years ago when I was in high school. I just hope the others in my house would learn not to touch my freaking Jeep...So frustrating.

Thanks Kastein, I know that's what I need to do. I was just not thinking too clearly when I discovered the damage. Sometimes you just need to hear something from another voice.

Time for a hidden fuel pump kill switch!

if they have keys, you've invited them to drive it. i'd say make your mom pay for it.

or at least break her proverbial balls about it.

Back