• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cowl filter/intake mod

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
One of my long-term objectives has been to relocate the air filter from the stock box to the cowl air chamber under the windshield. The primary motivation for this was to free up some space under the hood for other projects, but the secondary benefits such as a higher water line and potentially cooler air in the intake are also promising. Last year I opened the cowl to deal with some leaks, and today I got the intake installed.

Here is a pic of the passenger side of the cowl opened up, with some blue RTV around the cut. You can also see a lawnmower filter in the cabin intake that I'm using as a cabin air filter. Recently I cut some sewer drainage pipe for use a splash shield over the cabin filter as well (link), since water was dripping into the A/C system.

Blue_RTV.jpg

The opening is about 4" wide, and the cavity is about 5" deep by 7" wide in that area. This is really small area, and there are not many filters that will fit in that space. I really wanted an AEM filter but they are all 6" circumference at the base which is too large to fit in the cavity even if it would fit through the opening (unlikely). The other options were K&N which doesn't seem to filter well at all, a generic APC-brand filter which looked to be a hair too big, and a couple of Airaid filters. I ended up buying the Airaid 700-433 which is 4-5/8", and is just narrow enough to pinch through the opening and still have room for air to flow in the cavity. It also has a 3-1/4" opening at the mouth, which was needed for the plumbing I had planned. The other Airaid filter is the 700-430 which is identical to this one except it has a 3-1/2" opening.

Essentially my plan was to use three of the stock XJ elbows with some exhaust pipe connecting them together, basically arranged in a reversed figure-7. I wanted to keep the design as simple as possible, and wanted to avoid getting into plumbing fixtures or flex hosing or any of that stuff. For the first bend from the filter through the firewall, I wanted to get a simple 2.75-3.25 exhaust adapter so I could butt the elbow to the filter, but while testing some fitment noticed that the flexible part of the stock elbow fit in the opening with some pressure, and once I cranked the hose clamp tight the hose fit perfectly in the opening. Here's a pic showing the initial test fitting (note that the large flange at the end of the elbow has been removed)

Airaid_on_Stock_Hose_1.jpg

Here's a close-up pic of the seam. It's really tight in there. I can violently wave it around and it won't separate.

Airaid_on_Stock_Hose_2.jpg

Next I got the assembly into the cowl cavity, measured for distances, cut and reassembled. As you can see in this pic the multiple installs caused some cosmetic damage to the filter, but since it's just cosmetic and the filter is hidden anyway I don't really care. You can also see how small the cavity actually is--a larger filter just will not fit in there.

Filter_Installed.jpg

Once the filter seemed to be in a good spot, I used a 1/8" drill bit to make some probe holes in the firewall until I found the center of the elbow, then used a 3" hole saw with a pilot bit to center the hole over the winning probe. You can see the elbow behind the hole here

Hole_Drilled.jpg

With the hole in place, I was able to put a piece of 2.5" exhaust pipe into the filter through the opening, and clamp it down.

Filter_Connected.jpg

From there, I was able to test fit the other pieces, make measurements and cuts. I started with two stock elbows and a 24" long piece of 2.5" exhaust tubing inserted into the flexible parts of the elbows. The full 24" piece turned out to be about 4 or 5 inches too long (I haven't measured the final piece), and after a couple of cuts I was able to get the ends of the tube to sit at the very last pleat in the elbow just before the bends so that I could minimize turbulence. Another problem that cropped up was the hood light, which pressed into the rubber elbow when the hood was closed so I had to move it over a few inches. That was pretty much all of the fitment adjustments that were needed.

On my 91 there are also two lines that plumb into the filtered side of the airbox, which needed to be tapped into the filtered side of the tube. One is the CCV at the front of the valve cover, and the other is the charcoal fuel-evap canister by the HVAC blower. I looked at plumbing hardware options for a bit, but finally settled on a couple of air compressor fixtures. These are about 3/8" which is wide enough, and they were less than $2 each, so it was easier than the $20 worth of brass fixtures all around. They are threaded for 1/4 NPT so I punched a couple of 1/2" standard holes and forced them to thread, then cranked until the NPT got tight.

Vacuum_Fittings.jpg

Here is the final result. Seems to work fine. Power has dropped off a bit but it's not sluggish or anything and some of it might come back after the computer learns the new air pressure (but probably not). Noise in the cabin does not seem to be any louder, but the cabin air filter may be blocking some of the noise (it has amplified some of the blower motor noise so that is logical).

Completed_Intake.jpg

And here is the big freaking hole in my engine bay where the airbox used to squat. I am planning to put on-board air compressor and plumbing parts there eventually. That's a little ways down the list yet, but I can get started on it now.

Airbox_Removed.jpg

Total cost was about $70. The filter was $40 with shipping from a seller on Amazon, the hose clamps, exhaust tube, and heater hose for the air lines was about $25 at NAPA, and the two air fittings were another $5 (the junkyard did not charge me for the other two elbows). I need to buy something to use for a seal around the hole in the firewall, but haven't decided if I will just use junkyard weatherstripping or I may buy an actual flange of some kind. I also need to paint the exhaust tubing, but it was too cold today.

looking good!

one note though, the panel filter you are using is designed to flow in the opposite direction from the way you have it. I doubt it makes much difference in that application though :dunno:

Looks good.

A possible reason why your engine feels slugish is the airflow available to the repositioned air filter and the increased restriction in the intake tract caused from those tight bends going into the cowl.

If you think the computer needs to learn the restriction differences (read: air flow) with your new setup, then disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes to reset the ECU. Once you start your vehicle, the ECU will start to adjust the fuel and timing curves on the base maps. It's much quicker then having the ECU "relearn" any modification.

Questions -

Does the cowl have enough drain holes to allow rain water to drain fast enough to avoid puddling around the filter?

How do you intend to keep the water off of and possibly passing the filter during rain storms or even washing the vehicle?

This type of air filter is pleated cotton with blended oil using tackifiers applied to it after pleating. Pleating is just two sheets of wire mesh with cotton media placed between them that is ran through a machine that pleats the material. (think of a lamp shade) The oil applied after the pleating (or home cleaning) process is what stops the dirt. The media (cotton in this case) is what holds the dirt. The type and amount of oil applied to a filter is highly important too. We can address that later though.

Just remember that once the cotton gets wet, it will hold onto water for some time. Think of a cotton T-shirt and how long it will stay wet before you place it into a dryer. Once you start pulling air pass the water soaked filter, it will draw that water out of the cotton and into your engine. If it only gets slightly wet (like spray from a hose), it will not hurt your engine and isn't enough water to even worry about. If the filter comes in contact with enough water (rain storm, etc), then it will probably be cause for concern.

I like the idea a ton and you did a great job of making it fit. Great work!

A possible reason why your engine feels slugish is the airflow available to the repositioned air filter and the increased restriction in the intake tract caused from those tight bends going into the cowl.
I imagine the tubing is a contributing factor. Longer term, with more money, probably ought to replace it all with 3" tubing and silicone elbows (increased volume of the pipe would reduce drag a bunch). I don't know the CFM of the filter but given it's size it could be a restriction--the Wix panel filter I had in the stock airbox is listed as 320 CFM which is higher than most paper filters. Another aspect is the cowl itself, which doesn't get a lot of positive airflow at low speeds.

Does the cowl have enough drain holes to allow rain water to drain fast enough to avoid puddling around the filter?
There are big channels at each end that dump water out the fender. You can pour garden hose in the cowl and the water will evacuate as fast as it enters.

How do you intend to keep the water off of and possibly passing the filter during rain storms or even washing the vehicle?
The cowl 'screen' is blocked off on the passenger side (plastic is molded to look like screen but is solid), so air/water is really only able to enter the cavity from above on the drivers side, and it tends to pour out the channel there. If it goes into the cavity proper it tends to go to the front pinch seam over the firewall and follow that around before draining out on the passenger fender. I may get some additional water where I cut (and where the RTV has been applied) but it shouldn't be too bad. There's a pretty big gap in the front, so any moisture problems will probably be limited to the tip of the filter where the cowl is closed in (right behind the valve cover). One other option available here is a foam prefilter to keep water out of the filter. I'll have to watch and see what happens... wishing it would rain a bit.

Thanks for the additional info.

Airaid says the 700-433 has a flow rate of 1050 CFM, so it's not bottlenecking

I don't think the size of the filter is the problem, it's the area you have it crammed into. There is little to no airflow being pulled from underneath the filter, since the cowl is mostly sealed off except for the drainage areas.

All of the air going into the filter is coming in through the space in the top. The rest of the filter around the circumfrence isn't seeing airflow. I think it's kind of like turning the cowl into a stock airbox and just the top of it is sucking air in.

You might see better flow into the filter with a smaller one that opens up the area around the filter to allow the air to circulate better.

Edit: Is there openings in the top cowl plate? I don't know. If that's the case, you've closed off the top half of the filter and are sucking from the bottom. Either way, I think you've limited your surface area, which limits the airflow number you got from the website.

Looked at it some more and realized the nose was compressing into the narrow part of the cowl where the valve cover comes back. I enlarged the hole in the firewall about 1.5" and also cut the elbow down so I could seat the filter on the last pleat. This moved the filter further into the large cavity, and also lets more air flow into the cowl from the drivers side (it also lets the wiper motor arm fully articulate :eyes:).

Hole_Enlarged.jpg

Filter_Reinstalled.jpg

Performance has picked up again, although still not where it was. I think the computer is learning a bit (it was picking up yesterday a little), but there is much more noise coming out of the drivers side cowl screen now so it seems obvious that airflow is higher too.

FWIW I didn't expect the filter was restriction so much as potentially contributing. Resistance is cumulative so choke point A plus choke point B. The cowl probably isn't restricting anything either, since it can pull through the screen on the drivers side, up from the drains on each end, and even through the cabin air intake if needed, so it has a lot more capacity than the stock airbox with its 3x3 opening behind the headlight. Obviously in this case it seems that blocking the cowl with the rubber end of the filter does a pretty good job of restricting airflow... Still though, the tubing is probably the main limiter, just by eyeballing it looks like the stock elbows are +90 degree bends and I probably need ~80 degree bends for optimal curvature on most of the joints.

I think the biggest resistance is going through the cowl... pretty tight bends there. Is your air filter the type with an 'inverted cone' portion at the end (these are popular with the ricers)? If you ever think the filter is the source of restriction, then one of a slightly smaller diameter and with one of those doodads on the end might help a little.

In a location like that I don't think that your air filter can take in as much air, just because 3 sides around it are nearly blocked off, the smaller diameter may help more filter surface area to be utilized.

I really like the idea of a cowl mounted air filter, and it looks like a great example of junkyard engineering! I'm sure you'll fine tune it to get at least stock power out of it.

The opening is about 4" wide, and the cavity is about 5" deep by 7" wide in that area. This is really small area, and there are not many filters that will fit in that space. I really wanted an AEM filter but they are all 6" circumference at the base which is too large to fit in the cavity even if it would fit through the opening (unlikely). The other options were K&N which doesn't seem to filter well at all, a generic APC-brand filter which looked to be a hair too big, and a couple of Airaid filters. I ended up buying the Airaid 700-433 which is 4-5/8", and is just narrow enough to pinch through the opening and still have room for air to flow in the cavity. It also has a 3-1/4" opening at the mouth, which was needed for the plumbing I had planned. The other Airaid filter is the 700-430 which is identical to this one except it has a 3-1/2" opening.

Amsoil has a couple of nice cone filters that have a base diameter of 4 5/8" as well. Check out the EaAU3555 and the EaAU3570. They're nice filters and require no oiling. You just blow them off with an air compressor when they get dirty. They both have a 3.5" opening though which I guess could be a problem with your plumbing plan. I realize you already bought yours, just throwing it out there as another option for folks passing through this thread.

just a heads up, water may move quickly and easily through that area, but check and clean it often as dirt and debris (leafs, twigs, bugs, etc) collect in that area.
my buddy bought an XJ with the same mod, and when he checked the filter it was almost rotted away as the PO had just never cleaned all the crap away.

other than that, insulating the exhaust piping may help lower air temps, as the pipe is probably getting somewhat warm there.

I'm thinking of using a YJ intake tube and a filter on the end. I'm not a fan of the 2 90* bends by the throttle body (one is horizontal and the other is vertical) but maybe I can figure something else out sometime. It'll work for the meantime, locating the filter higher up in the engine bay away from water and stuff, and freeing up some room in the engine bay.

I did a similar thing, but with the factory box, and some pvc to the cowl. I actually gained seat of the pants power.

I tried rounding up an Amsoil filter part but couldn't find one, nor a price. It looks like that filter is open at the top? Is it open all the way through or is there a pocket in the middle?

It actually has an inverted cone on the top for some extra surface area. You can see it pretty good in this picture. (Sitting next to a dirty K&N)

100_7937.jpg

General information about the EaAU filters here:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx

Detailed specifications for each model here:

http://www.amsoil.com/products/ea_filters/EaAU_Photos_and_Specs.pdf

And online shopping here:

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=24

It was actually cheaper to get a six month Amsoil trial membership and buy the filter at member pricing than it was to buy it at the list price.

I'm thinking of using a YJ intake tube and a filter on the end.
I think the WJ box setup is probably the most adaptable to something like that. It has two airboxes, one that is directly on the throttle body and another (main) box in the normal XJ location. However I think a hole saw would let you move the "main" filter to whever you wanted, assuming you were able to get the filter on the throttle body box working.

In the meantime I pulled a YJ elbow from the junkyard today. I'll post a picture when I get around to installing it. I'm probably going to use the elbow part in the cowl since it is a little taller and has less of a sharp angle at the bend, both of which should make it easier to maneuver in the cavity. The stock elbow is very sharp angle and kind of short so it wants to pull out of the filter when it is tight on the exhaust bridge piece, so this should help with that. I'd like to get two more of the YJ elbows actually but this is the only one I've seen at the junkyard

Last edited:
awesome job im preparing to do this as well

what is the space inside the cowl measure? and far does it go on the passenger side?

Okay I took another run at it. Most of the day was spent repairing my first hole and fitting a grommet but the attempt didn't work so I will have to do yet another try for that later.

Here is a comparison pic of the XJ and YJ elbow I mentioned yesterday. The XJ elbow is bent at a really sharp angle, but the YJ elbow is nice and relaxed, which makes it much easier to work with in this application.

XJ_vs_YJ_Elbows.jpg

I cut the YJ elbow after the third pleat, and used it in the cowl cavity. The looser angle and the longer neck make it much easier to fit in the cowl. Three pleats allows for one to be pinched by the hose clamp, and one other pleat on each side of the clamp to privide additional seal. It all fits very nicely in there now, without interfering with either the washer arm or the cabin air intake, and there is plenty of air flow around the front of it (see the big gap at the nose).

YJ_Elbow.jpg

I also painted the tubing with some of the Rustoleum Metallic that I had laying around. Since my sheet metal repair didn't hold, I found a 3" rubber plug from some junkyard scavenging and cut a notch so that it could more or less block the opening until I get the hole fixed permanently.

Painted_Intake.jpg

Overall results right now is that it is a littler quieter again, but I can still clearly hear the air through the drivers side opening in the cowl. Throttle response from standstill is back to where it was before, so I guess the computer has corrected a little bit (maybe it is running leaner or has the timing forward a bit, dunno).

The only thing I would do differently is use a slightly larger hole saw, probably 3.25". Since the cavity wall is at a slope, the top and bottom of the hole are is actually a little smaller than 3" when viewed straight from the front. Moreover, the 2.5" exhaust tube sticks through the hole horizontally, and it makes contact with the top and bottom edges of the hole when everything is buttoned up. There is not even enough room for door edging around the hole when the exhaust tube is installed. Unfortunately, the cavity itself is not very deep, and some water will flow near the lip down there, so you can't make the hole too much bigger. Maybe 3.5" would work but I'd be more comfortable with 3.25". I may also try to oval out the hole a bit (maybe some sandpaper around the hole saw) but I need to patch the original hole first

Man that filter just looks way to big in that cowl area.

I think when I do this I'm only going to use the cowl as an intake area and run the tube to a filter box.

red heep that is what i am doin and on a 97 and up there is enough room to run it in on the drivers side and aim it down to avoid rain water and such i will try to get some pics tomarrow but so far it looks like i will be good. i am just tryin to get away from that gapeing hole in the front of the air box

Today I found a tear in the intake elbow over the throttle body. This is probably due to a combination of the sharp angle of the XJ elbow and heat rising off the exhaust manifold. Luckily it seems to have happened very recently so I don't think I was driving around like that for more than a couple of days.

Torn_Throttle_Boot.sized.jpg

The YJ elbows are much shallower angles, so I bought 2 more of those to use for the main tube to eliminate the stress.

Completed_Intake_Repairs_2.sized.jpg

Completed_Intake_Repairs_1.sized.jpg

One nice thing about this mod (I suppose) is that you can tell when it's not working because it's quieter

Long term the best solution for the elbows is probably going to be silicon hoses

Back