• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Serious Electrical Question

Sailor553

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ with about 433,000 miles on it. It has been sitting for a couple of years and the roof leaks. It still starts up and runs very well. The problem is:

1) the turn signals do not work. I have changed the flasher.
2) the door locks do not work, nor the power windows.
3) the horn does not work.
4) the fog lights, rear window defroster and wiper do not work. I have changed the switches.
5) the AC and blower do not work. I have changed the blower relay/rheostat.

All of the fuses are good and I have changed out every relay in main power distribution panel.

What gives? Is there another relay that powers the inside fuse panel?

I am at my wits end.
Thanks in advance

I would be looking for interior ground connections.

The combination of multiple features inoperable and the known interior moisture problem point to a high likelihood of a rusted ground connection.

I don't know where all the locations are, but I think there may be one on the driver's side down below the hood release. It may even be down low enough that the carpet covers it. That would be the first place I would go looking. A factory service manual should tell you where they are all located, and should also indicate what all is in common for these various circuits.

Let us know what you find.

About the only thing that those items have in common is Power and Grounds! Get a good VOM and start checking voltage/resistance/voltage drop for all your main power connections.

Buy or borrow a $6-25 volts ohms multi-meter. Test wire continuity in the circuits, (both positive and ground) and test the switches.

Inspect the backside of the fuse box panel in the passenger footwell. Water leaks can lead to corrosion and failure.

1) Failure of the turn signal switch assembly is common.
2) Failure of the drivers door and tailgate wire harness is common. Visually inspect and continuity test looking for damaged wires, chafed wire insulation, and failed wire splices.
3) Apply 12 volts directly to the horns. Consider the possibility that the airbag clock spring is faulty.
4) Test the circuits and switches. Fog Lamps have an unmarked fuse in the PDC fusebox under the hood. Visually inspect and continuity test looking for damaged wires, chafed wire insulation, and failed wire splices.
5) Failure of the blower motor resistor is common.
6) Test the circuit. Faulty door wire harnesses can short out the radio. See #2 above.

Back