• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Side Blinkers

90XJ_Seth

NAXJA Forum User
1990 XJ Base

Here is the issue,
the right and left blinker on both sides at the front of the Jeep will blink only when the headlights are off but not when the headlights are on. I believe it could be a grounding issue but am also wondering if the incandescent blinkers could cause a different resistance when the headlights are on causing the LED's to not blink.

I already tried the blinker fluid, super hard to find....:eyes:
Did not try sticking my finger into the socket to see if it would shock me.:skull1:

I have LED blinker lights on the front sides, but incandescent Orange blinkers on the front under the headlights. Most of my rig has been upgraded to LED lights but there are still some that I haven't replaced. I have LED headlights, dash lights, Dome lights, rear backup lights.

Signals and headlights are different circuits.

Signals in the front are 2 circuits, turn and parking (2 elements - same bulb).
If I recall correctly, the side markers in the front are parking only.

However, there was a mod posted on MADXJ years back that tied the side markers to the signals, and through lightbulb resistance magic, they got the circuit to oscillate.
When the front signal was on, the side marker was off, the side marker would then warm up and increase in resistance, causing the front marker to extinguish, lather, rinse, repeat.

*** Going back and reading again, looks like you have a ground issue. A giveaway is if both elements are on at the same time. ***

To clarify, the blinkers below the lights (incandescent)work when the headlights are on or off, but the blinkers on the side of the lights (LED) will not blink when the headlights are on.

And they work, thanks for the info tech1001. What I learned is try to get the smallest non polar you can as it was a bit of elbow grease to get the lights in as they are longer because of the tech needed to make them non polar. I now have blinkers and night time running lights. Awesome!

Back