• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 trouble

Mikel

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I'm looking at a '96 Cherokee that has some transmission issues. It started to not shift gears, so the owner replaced the ATF and filter, with no improvement. He says he helps the transmission shift by working the shifter (?).

I have already factored a transmission swap in the purchase of the vehicle, but I'm wondering if this may have an easy fix. Perhaps a bad solenoid valve?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Mikel

Vehicle has 95K miles. According to seller, it sat for about 3 years with minimal use. That's when trouble started.

Make sure first that it's running the right fluid!

The ability to shift the transmission by use of the floor shifter, usually indicates that the transmission is functioning.

Without more info from troubleshooting on your part, one might guess a solenoid problem, a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) problem, or Transmission Control Unit (TCU) issues. Check the wire plugs and wire harness of all of these for continuity, corrosion, and/or damage. A bit of Google-fu will locate an AW-4 Service Manual, or you can go to www.pacificcoastmanuals.com and get the complete FSM.

Last edited:
The ability to shift the transmission by use of the floor shifter, unusually indicates that the transmission is functioning.

Without more info from troubleshooting on your part, one might guess a solenoid problem, a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) problem, or Transmission Control Unit (TCU) issues. Check the wire plug and wire harness of all of these for continuity, corrosion, and/or damage. A bit of Google-fu will locate an AW-4 Service Manual, or you can go to www.pacificcoastmanuals.com and get the complete FSM.

Yep, sounds like a control system problem. Check the wiring, connections and fuses.

Back