• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacement fuel tank for 01 xj?

ptimhere

NAXJA Forum User
My son recently acquired his first XJ, its a 2001 limited and he is in love. We were told it had a fuel leak and it was likely a loose hose or fitting and should be an easy fix. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

We've dropped the fuel tank and found one upper corner bashed in. Its the same corner that clearly was repaired in the past. So we're looking to try and find a new tank, but we are having no luck at all.

Does anyone make replacement tanks for the 97-01's?

Or will I be looking to grab a used one off ebay?

Thanks, tim

Yea, I tried q-tech and rock auto. I can find tanks -96 but not after. Looks like I will be going the ebay route. I'm not ready to put a $1000 gen right tank in just yet.

Thanks for the replies.

You may be able to run a ZJ tank instead. Do some research on that topic, as I have only considered it from the perspective of my '96. You may even gain a bit of capacity going that route.

I think (entirely off memory here) the ZJ tank will fit, but the sending unit will probably not communicate properly with your fuel gauge. It may be possible that you can use the XJ sending unit in the ZJ tank. I know the '96 sending unit is another configuration entirely, but the '01 might be the same as the ZJ.

Thanks for the extra responses. I will take a gander at the zj tanks. And I probably should have thought of a parts jeep. In the rust belt they are often quite cheap.

96-98 ZJ tanks bolt in with little to no modifications. RedJeep2.0 has done the swap a couple of times might want to msg him

I did the ZJ fuel tank swap based off the post where RedJeep2.0 talked about it. The ZJ tank bolts right in, and will give you about an extra 5gal of fuel capacity.

Even though most parts catalogs I've looked at has different specs for the Bosch XJ fuel pump vs the Bosch ZJ fuel pump, the #s on the fuel pump that came with the ZJ tank were the exact same as the XJ. Since I had the tank out and my XJ is over 200k I went ahead and spent the $$$ on a new Bosch XJ pump.

Where are you located? I have a tank here in Youngstown you can have for free. I found my leak coming from the pressure regulator and not the actual tank itself.

Back