• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water leak at door seal

johnny1993

NAXJA Forum User
I would follow that pinch seam up and see if it is coming in higher and exiting where you see the leak. I had the pinch seam at the tailend of roof rail caps cause a leak in the rear quarter like that. I smeared/forced silicone into seam to fix mine. Almost forgot had one like that by hood hinge on drivers side leak too. That one leaked right on my brake pedal.

Little tip on smearing silicone onto voids or just making a smooth bead around bathtub. Dip finger in rubbing alcohol then smooth silicone, wipe finger with paper towel, repeat dipping everytime you touch silicone.

I'd go with that idea of looking above for the actual leak. If you open the door all the way and look at the "short piece" of rubber that stops 3/4 of the way up the door, not the door seal, but its' just a short piece...that moulding piece (at least on my XJ and my MJ) get's a little warped and can pull away from the door. Directly above that is where the water runs down from the gutter, that piece of moulding is supposed to stop/redirect that water. I fixed mine by pulling the moulding strip off, putting some adhesive RTV and re-sticking it. Not a leak, ever since.

I'd go with that idea of looking above for the actual leak. If you open the door all the way and look at the "short piece" of rubber that stops 3/4 of the way up the door, not the door seal, but its' just a short piece...that moulding piece (at least on my XJ and my MJ) get's a little warped and can pull away from the door. Directly above that is where the water runs down from the gutter, that piece of moulding is supposed to stop/redirect that water. I fixed mine by pulling the moulding strip off, putting some adhesive RTV and re-sticking it. Not a leak, ever since.

Thanks, will have at look at that too. Cheers

Back