• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dealer prices inconsistent = Buyer Beware

3XJFamily

NAXJA Forum User
I had to bring this up because this has happened multiple times with the South Point Jeep Dealer in Austin. . .

I search around here, and get an idea what the price from a dealer should be but, when I call them it is triple that! Previous quote from them for a harmonic balancer was almost $200 (figured about $50 after searching forum), just got off the phone with them looking for a fan shroud (someone on forum had got from a dealer for $13) they wanted $48.

On an off chance, I called the dealer on the other side of town, and the same part is $17 !

Anyhow, lesson learned = Dealer prices are not the same. Luckily this has only cost me an extra $20 or $30 on little stuff - hope someone else can benefit. . .

Research research research before you buy. The markup is roughly 100% over cost on parts from the dealer. I use a couple of online dealers to get the prices of the parts I want then print them out and walk in with that.
You don't have to go to a jeep dealer either, ANY chrysler dealer can pull your part numbers if you walk in with the vin number. I get mine from the local dodge dealer down at the 3 way intersection. Been sending the other local jeep owners there too. Now he's actually starting to keep some jeep parts in stock and I notice an addtion to his sign out front "Dodge, Chrylsler and JEEP parts available here" and the JEEP letters are NEW ones :D

Back