• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement pinion yoke for D30?

Rob Mayercik

NAXJA Member #920
NAXJA Member
All righty. 92 XJ, 4.0/AW-4/NP231. HPD30 Front, 27-sp C8.25 rear. Axles are both original to the vehicle.

Have a weeping pinion seal on the D30. Last time this happened was back in '08, while I was driving it home from the 25th in Moab. The place I stopped at to get it fixed found the yoke was badly grooved, and put a "speedy sleeve" on it to get me back on the road quickly since he said he couldn't get a new yoke.

If it's not just the seal this time and the sleeve is also shot, it might be time to just replace the yoke itself and start fresh. Looked on Quadratec thinking to order one just in case (figured I'd return it if the sleeve's OK) and found eight different yokes to pick from.

Problem is, while they all appear to be 26-spline, there's three different options for the u-joint compatibility - 1310, 1330, and 1350.

I assume 1310 is what Jeep put on it and that's what I should go with here, but is there an easy way to confirm this on the vehicle itself?

Should be a 1310. The 1310 series u-joint measures approximately 3 1/4 inches wide. The 1330 and 1350 both measure approximately 3 5/8 wide.

If you have the front shaft out, check the other two u-joints as well.

Also heads up if you ever need to replace the rear D35 diff yoke. Some of the "kits" with both the yoke and seal include a D30 yoke which has a smaller diameter and a different non-oem sized seal. It all fits, but you need to be aware of the different seal size if you ever need to replace it later.

Thanks for the info. I don't actually have the front shaft out right now, but the one I bent several years ago is still in the garage, I can measure the joint in that one easily enough (both bolted onto the same yoke).

Once I confirm the measurement, I'll get one on order. Any experience with either the Crown or Omix parts that Quadratec offer?

You can up-grade to a yoke that uses U-bolts instead of straps too,Same yoke fits a D44,,,1310 size joint. Mine is a Yukon.But has Spicer cast into it. Get a new pinion nut too.

Back