• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The to do list

[Set pinion angle and weld purchasing on rear axle ---DONE
Grind all the TJ brackets off my Dana 30---DONE
Weld purchase onto Dana 30----DONE
Install Dana 30 lunch box locker and chromo shafts from my old 30--- HALF DONE
Drill the knuckles out on the new axle for my 1 ton steering---DONE
Patch the crack in the frame---- DONE
If I have time I'll address the rot at the rear shackle mount.---- HALF ASS DONE

JUST HAVE TO FILL THE REAR DIFF AGAIN, THE OLD OIL FELT TOO THIN.

See! he had two whole weeks and didn't use it all. He's an overachiever (again).

What'd you get, Jordan?

Ok, need a little sanity check here:

Jeep's in at the shop for the two leaky seals and a rear brake adjust (and, it turns out, a new starter).

Anyway, I just talked to the guy and he's concerned about the front driveshaft - apparently with the truck up on the lift and the suspension totally drooped out, the thing's fully compressed so he can't get the thing out to get at the pinion yoke seal. Since it's been in "street mode" since RocktoberFest, the front swaybar is connected right now)

I'm thinking that if he gets it back down and compresses the suspension a bit it'll open up, but he's concerned about potential harm to the transfer case because of it being compressed "to the stop" at full droop and is thinking we will have to have it shortened.

Back a couple years ago when I got "most thrashed", he and I had to dial out the driver's side LCA (JCR adjustable) about 2 turns or so to be able to install a replacement front shaft, suggesting that something in that event pushed the front axle back a little on that side, causing a bent front driveshaft. Thing is, though, this is the guy that did the coil/shock mounts for me a year or two ago and he had the axle completely out of the truck then and didn't mention having this issue, so something must have changed.

Just to refresh, I'm sitting on OME 2" heavy-duty coils and ACOS (which are dialed out to about 2 inches or so), so I'm in the 4-4.5 inch realm. That's a little higher than where I was when I bent the original front shaft, is it possible that the extra angle on the control arms to aggravate whatever I bent back then, and I need another couple turns' adjustment on the driver's LCA?

I'm off from work tomorrow, so I'm going down to have a look in the morning. Anyone got any thoughts?

Well, turns out it wasn't a problem - we dropped the truck back onto its wheels and the driveshaft slip joint opened up a couple inches.

And, it turns out the pinion seal wasn't leaking - looks like it was the drain plug on the diff cover - was badly ground down from rock hits. Fortunately I had a couple spares in the back, so now everything's sorted out and the truck's ready to rock and roll.

Well, turns out it wasn't a problem - we dropped the truck back onto its wheels and the driveshaft slip joint opened up a couple inches.

And, it turns out the pinion seal wasn't leaking - looks like it was the drain plug on the diff cover - was badly ground down from rock hits. Fortunately I had a couple spares in the back, so now everything's sorted out and the truck's ready to rock and roll.

Glad to hear everything worked out

Rear driveshaft...DONE
Shifters...Done
Put interior back in and install new seats...DONE
Radiator...DONE
Reinstall front bumper...DONE
Relocate battery, welp, that led into having to replace the cargo area sheet metal...UGH?!?!?!?, DONE
Rear shock mounts...DONE
Wiring...all in all DONE
S belt...found one and DONE
Reconnect steering lines...DONE
Gas tank skid...Done
Reinstall tcase skid DONE
Fuel pump...Done
Rear brakes and bleed...DONE
Reinstall front ds..DONE.
Exhaust...DONE
new ac lines...DONE and charge the system and its cold DONE
Reinstall hood and front clip...DONE
inspection DONE, DONE, DONE
Rocker Protection DONE

LETS GO ALREADY, IM READY

STROKER

Glad to hear everything worked out

Thanks, it was a relief to me as well, as well as a lucky break that I knew where I'd stashed the extra drain plugs and was able to get at them quick (though now I understand why RuffStuff stopped offering them).

Only thing left on my list is to check that my CB's working properly, which requires a second radio. That's the plan for this weekend, as well as a quick shakedown run around town just to stretch its legs a bit.

Shes pretty much done. I just need to find a way to get the Jeep there without it being registered. I knew I should have bought a fullsize truck for my DD.

Looks like some Motor Vehicles stuff in NJ will be reopening on Monday (6/15), based on this link dated just a couple days ago: https://covid19.nj.gov/faqs/nj-info...-what-new-protocols-or-practices-are-in-place

The link above mentions some new online/mail-in process for titling on private-purchase vehicles, but I'd say the best thing you can do is call MVC and talk to them directly about the situation - getting the answer straight from the horse's mouth.

Short of that, it sounds like renting/borrowing a tow rig is your only option.

Looks like some Motor Vehicles stuff in NJ will be reopening on Monday (6/15), based on this link dated just a couple days ago: https://covid19.nj.gov/faqs/nj-info...-what-new-protocols-or-practices-are-in-place

The link above mentions some new online/mail-in process for titling on private-purchase vehicles, but I'd say the best thing you can do is call MVC and talk to them directly about the situation - getting the answer straight from the horse's mouth.

Short of that, it sounds like renting/borrowing a tow rig is your only option.
I for one am not counting on that coming to fruition, vehicle ownership changes bring up taxation issues and a host of other things that are simply unworkable online, and for good reason. It suscks. But the potential for abuse is huge.

Back