• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy D44 vs XJ D44

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, from the mid 80's waggies are the rear D44 same size as the XJ D44's? I know the bolt pattern on the flange is different, but what about the bolt pattern on the housing for the axle shaft retainer plate? What about the length of axle shafts? Spring perches?

I discovered that my D44 didn't survive the rollover 2 years ago as well as I hoped by finding 2 spun bearings on the axleshafts (one side does look a hair tweaked up). Anyways, I want to do a quick one weekend swap of axles and just move all the guts (locker/gears/new axleshafts/disk brakes) to another D44 and I'm wondering if any of hte waggy ones are compatible. Oh yeah, I'm lazy and don't feel like rewelding spring perches either :D (I'll do the shock mounts though and a truss): so are the spring perches same?

tape_measure.jpg

Kejtar said:
OK, from the mid 80's waggies are the rear D44 same size as the XJ D44's? I know the bolt pattern on the flange is different, but what about the bolt pattern on the housing for the axle shaft retainer plate? What about the length of axle shafts? Spring perches?

I discovered that my D44 didn't survive the rollover 2 years ago as well as I hoped by finding 2 spun bearings on the axleshafts (one side does look a hair tweaked up). Anyways, I want to do a quick one weekend swap of axles and just move all the guts (locker/gears/new axleshafts/disk brakes) to another D44 and I'm wondering if any of hte waggy ones are compatible. Oh yeah, I'm lazy and don't feel like rewelding spring perches either :D (I'll do the shock mounts though and a truss): so are the spring perches same?

i doubt the mid 80s models will work but of the last couple years they made the FS waggys (87-88, the ones with driverside front pinion) the rear diff is in the center the older ones the rear is offset slightly.. but even still the shafts may be longer at least an 1" or 2, pirate4x4 would probly be a good source to search for that info

David Taylor said:
I thought waggy's were spring under in the rear :dunno:
Ahhh, you're right. But that's not a big deal, that means that after all I'd have to reweld the perches. The first two questions still stand though: are the axleshafts lengths the same and is the flange bolt pattern (for the retainer) same as the XJ one?

Remi

JLane99XJ said:
i doubt the mid 80s models will work but of the last couple years they made the FS waggys (87-88, the ones with driverside front pinion) the rear diff is in the center the older ones the rear is offset slightly.. but even still the shafts may be longer at least an 1" or 2, pirate4x4 would probly be a good source to search for that info
Yeah, that's the one I'm thinking off. I'll poke at it on pirate and see if I can come across any measurements.

Hmmm I do recall my waggy being spring over and I didn't have to move the perches....
Also, my front axle, from an 82 was driver drop......

GSequoia said:

Kejtar said:
Sure I'll measure them... when I have one to look at! I'm doing research beforehand so that way I'll be well edumacated when I come across one.

Gotta love the SMART ASSES on this board! hasta :rattle: :gag:

JnJ said:
Hmmm I do recall my waggy being spring over and I didn't have to move the perches....
Also, my front axle, from an 82 was driver drop......
Hmmm maybe I will have a wider range of axles to choose from :D So..... do you have any spare axleshafts floating around that you can measure? ;) How about the pattern on the retaining plate?? :D

I just did a waggy swap under my cherokee. Waggy axles are spring over, they are also about 2" narrower that an XJ dana 44. The shafts on the waggy axle are two different lengths, so they will not swap over.

88XJScott said:
I just did a waggy swap under my cherokee. Waggy axles are spring over, they are also about 2" narrower that an XJ dana 44. The shafts on the waggy axle are two different lengths, so they will not swap over.

2" narrower huh??
yeah i forgot about that,, its almost like CJs having TWO axle widths (narrow and wide track)
grand wagoneers with wood grain and chrome fender trim have narrower axles (wheels inset inside the fenders)
and
FS cherokees and wagoneers with molded into the body Fender Flares have wider axles (same width as other 1/2 ton 4x4s) but those being older probably have amc20 rear axles..

Waggy's are not sprung over, they're under. Maybe the FSJ truck is over. I've heard that they use a bigger bearing in the FSJ 44's. The bolt pattern is 6 lug standard Chevy Yota. They are a bit narrower than the XJ, but there are always off-set wheels and, or spacers. they're cheap too.

I have 44's from a Waggy "86 model.

xjaddiction said:
Waggy's are not sprung over, they're under. Maybe the FSJ truck is over. I've heard that they use a bigger bearing in the FSJ 44's. The bolt pattern is 6 lug standard Chevy Yota. They are a bit narrower than the XJ, but there are always off-set wheels and, or spacers. they're cheap too.

I have 44's from a Waggy "86 model.

the rear axle on Most models is spring Over and the front is Under, its crazy AMC tech, go figure

Kejtar said:
Hmmm maybe I will have a wider range of axles to choose from :D So..... do you have any spare axleshafts floating around that you can measure? ;) How about the pattern on the retaining plate?? :D
Sorry, my waggy rear is a Model 20. :gag: But again, it was spring OVER, not under and the perches were the exact distance apart as the XJs. I have looked at many waggys in yards (junk) around here and they are all spring OVER. Also, I only recall there being about 1" difference in WMS to WMS (Waggy being narrower).
To clarify, I am talking bout the rear axle being SOA, the front is SUA.

Kejtar said:
How about the pattern on the retaining plate?? :D

its likely just barely different enough to be a PITA, but that easily solved by welding up the holes on the old plates and ginding them smooth and then redrilling them with the correct pattern

i had to do that on TJ dana 44 bearing retainer plates that i used on my XJ dana 44 sawp with ZJ rear disc brake conversion...

say that 3x fast, lol

JLane99XJ said:
its likely just barely different enough to be a PITA, but that easily solved by welding up the holes on the old plates and ginding them smooth and then redrilling them with the correct pattern

i had to do that on TJ dana 44 bearing retainer plates that i used on my XJ dana 44 sawp with ZJ rear disc brake conversion...

say that 3x fast, lol

The end flange is larger on the waggy axle compared to the XJ D44 and the bolt pattern is different and larger too. The individual axle shaft lengths are shorter than the XJ/TJ units too. The axle shaft bearings are the same though as are all the differential guts. The spring perches are correct in overall width, but if you've rotated the axle for a CV at the t-case, you'll want to grind the perches off and reweld them in the correct spot. The axle shafts are 6 bolt and if matched with the original FSJ rims, the track width will match a stock XJ track width. Jeff

Back