• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

waggy steering

Fletch85

NAXJA Forum User
I have seen a few people on here running a waggy steering setup. Does the waggy tie-rod and drag link bolt right up to an XJ, and if not what modifications need to be done? Thanks

Do yourself a BIG favor and stay away from using this setup. I installed it before the Moab event last October and it was the worst mod I've done to my rig EVER!

I wanted to use the Waggy parts in order to build an over the knuckle system. I paid to have my knuckles and pitman arm reamed out to accept the bigger TRE's, then I trimmed off the front of each spring mount to allow for as much clearance as I could.

When I first tried to bolt it together, I found that the centerlink and TRE's contacted the spring mounts WAY before I was able to make a full turn of the steering. So, I used a torch and tube bender to put a little bend in each end of the centerlink to allow a full turn.

Having put those bends in made bigger problems. When everything was bolted tight, I noticed that the drag link would push down / pull up on the centerlink causing the centerlink to rotate just a bit. This movement caused A LOT of slop in the steering when driving it. Additionally, when the Jeep is sitting still and I turn the steering wheel, the front of the jeep lifts with a right turn and pulls down on left turns.

Now, lemme be clear about my rig - I'm using 35" tires and have about 8" of lift so the Waggy steering might work better for smaller lifts and tires, but I don't see how. A drop pitman arm may have helped this setup with the lifting and dropping during turns since that would reduce the angle of the draglink, but the steering parts contacting the spring mounts is something that can't be eliminated enough unless a person could get the steering arms on the knuckles to come out a couple inches farther.

Seriously, save your money and buy a proven steering kit. The factory steering parts still work very well up to 6" lifts, and you can get beefier centerlinks for the factory steering. Anything above 6" and you'd be best to look into using one ton Chevy TRE's and connecting those to some custom DOM tubing to make the drag link and center link.

Do a search, you'll see lots of different setups out there, but the Waggy steering is something that most guys out there aren't sticking with very long.

Check out www.phatjeeps.com (click on "axle conversions and steering") and their nifty steering system for the D30. That's what I'm buyin' later this week.

Hope this helps!

I have it also, if I remember correctly, I tried to steer Yellaheep away from it also. :) Its got a pretty big dead spot and I had to clearance my trackbar mount and swaybar mounts a lot. My draglink trackbar angles are right on, I have an 2-3 inch drop pitman arm and its not bent back as much due to all the trimming and clearancing, so my experiance probably isn't as bad as Yellaheeps. If I were to do it again I would use the chevy tre stuff flipped. I am not a big fan of heims.

Why don't you do that Yellaheep it would be a bolt in affair for you?

Back