• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Summer Wheeling trip

WB9YZU

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I'm thinking a wheeling trip either the last week of June, or 1st week in July is in order as I have cabin fever bad! Looking to do challenging trails, but not something which is going to leave rock rash or gratuitously break stuff as I will have to drive mine to/from the trail (to/from CO.).

What I had in mind was a week of wheeling, perhaps something like a "tour" of trails kind of idea. Maybe start in Denver area, then Holy X city, then??
I remember Eagle Rock near Co Springs being a hoot.

,Ron

You have to try Grizzly lake trail. Its one valley east of Iron Chest and can be don in an xj on 31s. the veiw at the end is well worth it.
Led

wb9yzu said:
Hi all,
I'm thinking a wheeling trip either the last week of June, or 1st week in July is in order as I have cabin fever bad! Looking to do challenging trails, but not something which is going to leave rock rash or gratuitously break stuff as I will have to drive mine to/from the trail (to/from CO.).,Ron

The curse of the daily driver. But am right there with you. I have been talking to some jeepers(mixed models) about a trip for the last weekend in June. Don't want to go first week of July as the hills are too crowded over the 4th.
:cheers:
So far I have 5 rigs on the docket. We had talked about HolyX but Grizz has fantastic scenery. So I'm in +5 more.

crjeeper said:
The curse of the daily driver. But am right there with you. I have been talking to some jeepers(mixed models) about a trip for the last weekend in June. Don't want to go first week of July as the hills are too crowded over the 4th.
So far I have 5 rigs on the docket. We had talked about HolyX but Grizz has fantastic scenery. So I'm in +5 more.

Base camp could be Buena Vista. I know there is going to be a scout team picked to run the trails around there for the NAXJA Colorado Event. Maybe you guys could hook up with them on the same weekend.

I'm pretty sure that my '98 will built by then.

JohnJohn said:
I'm pretty sure that my '98 will built by then.

Sure hope so johnjohn... Holler if you need any help. :repair:
Buena Vista sounds good. Good topic for our first meeting next weekend.

Buena Vista and grizzly would be cool. I was down there 3 years ago on that trail didn't know it at the time in my stock xj and made it almost to the top but it was getting late and had to get back to a freinds cabin we were staying at for dinner. we just went op there to fish found out we hit a trail it was great.

Not sure I'd plan a trip from Wisconsin for the first week of June if you plan on hitting the higher elevation stuff...we get storms in early June that are easily snow above 9,000 ft and you are likely to have a decent snowpack still.

Now if you plan to run lower elevation stuff in the mountain suburbs of Denver, you'll be fine.

Nay

I got a chance to look over the posts with a clearer head ( I hate cold medicine! ).
I have off 2 weeks from June 26 though July 10th, and was thinking 1 week could be wheeling only. And since wheeling alone isn't 1/2 as much fun as wheeling with a small group, what I was looking to do was to see if there was some interest in assembling a 4X4 safari (for lack of a better term).
I'm talking about a week of wheeling, not just a weekend (though joining up with a weekend group would be fun on those days!).

John John, CrJeeper, can that idea fit into your plans?
,Ron

wb9yzu said:
,Ron

I have already requested the 7-15 of August off for the :NAXJA: Event . That plus a week last month in Aruba plus Maui on the books for october has eaten all but 3 days of vacation for the year. You see how that worked? The better half made me a "deal", We go beach-hopping for 20 days, she goes camping with me for 7.... :kissyou: So, the long and the short answer. No. But can hook up for the 3 day in June. Fri-Sun.

Sounds familiar. I surprised my wife with a trip to Rome for Valentine's day last year so I could talk her into Moab a couple of times. Rome is definately cheaper.

wb9yzu said:
I got a chance to look over the posts with a clearer head ( I hate cold medicine! ).
I have off 2 weeks from June 26 though July 10th, and was thinking 1 week could be wheeling only. And since wheeling alone isn't 1/2 as much fun as wheeling with a small group, what I was looking to do was to see if there was some interest in assembling a 4X4 safari (for lack of a better term).
I'm talking about a week of wheeling, not just a weekend (though joining up with a weekend group would be fun on those days!).

,Ron

I wanna do HolyX and Grizz sounds great too. So keep me posted and I'll be ready to go where-ever. Are you coming alone or with family?

rj454 said:
I wanna do HolyX and Grizz sounds great too. So keep me posted and I'll be ready to go where-ever. Are you coming alone or with family?
Not sure yet....I might drag a son or two out with me. The rigs that I had lined up initially were not bringing significant others, however I don't think it would be a problem.

rj454 said:

Looks to be an alone trip. I'll monitor posts here, and on the COXJ list.

Sounds like Crjeeper has a group going out Fri June 25th through the 27th if I read his posts right. Looking at the calendar I know I won't be able to make the 25th or 26th sched as Fri night and most of Saturday will be drive and other down time.
,Ron

wb9yzu said:
Looks to be an alone trip. I'll monitor posts here, and on the COXJ list.

Sounds like Crjeeper has a group going out Fri June 25th through the 27th if I read his posts right. Looking at the calendar I know I won't be able to make the 25th or 26th sched as Fri night and most of Saturday will be drive and other down time.
,Ron
Correct you are Ron. btw, this all might change locations if we get a few more snowstorms late like last year. Nay is right. it's not uncommon at all to have some heavy snow that high up. Some of the better trails that are over passes might still be a little risky. We will see......

An update:
The dates have been narrowed to June 28 though July 4th.
Not the 25th though the 4th like I'd hoped, but it should work ;-)

I've been looking at accomidations, it looks like Denver has reasonable "Extended Stay" rooms which are not too spendy. Denver also seems to be in reach (2-3hrs) of some interesting trails. Other options?
If I stay in the Springs, it seems to me the trails west of Denver just get further away.
Ron

wb9yzu said:
Hi all,
I'm thinking a wheeling trip either the last week of June, or 1st week in July is in order as I have cabin fever bad! Looking to do challenging trails, but not something which is going to leave rock rash or gratuitously break stuff as I will have to drive mine to/from the trail (to/from CO.).

What I had in mind was a week of wheeling, perhaps something like a "tour" of trails kind of idea. Maybe start in Denver area, then Holy X city, then??
I remember Eagle Rock near Co Springs being a hoot.

,Ron

Why is everyone worried about snow? Don't plan for snow in June or July. If it does and I have seen it the snow does not build up. And yes I do know about this area I live in Leadville ay 10200 feet. I have already been close top of sevral passes and even cheched out Holy Cross last week.

wb9yzu said:
I've been looking at accomidations, it looks like Denver has reasonable "Extended Stay" rooms which are not too spendy. Denver also seems to be in reach (2-3hrs) of some interesting trails. Other options?
If I stay in the Springs, it seems to me the trails west of Denver just get further away.
Ron

ron,

unless you want to see the city of denver, i'd suggest you keep going west and consider staying in golden-- that puts you that much closer to the trails and only a few minutes from the main arteries into the hills (I-70, US6, US285).

http://www.ingolden.com/stay_f.html

i don't know what the rates are like, but the "table mountain inn" downtown golden is a pretty nice place and plenty of places to eat in town.

$.02

terry

What price range per night were you looking for? I normally stay in a nice place in Silverthorne for around $50 a night with pool and hot tub. That would save you an hours drive. With $2 a gallon gas, that could add $10 a day or more.

old_man said:
What price range per night were you looking for? I normally stay in a nice place in Silverthorne for around $50 a night with pool and hot tub. That would save you an hours drive. With $2 a gallon gas, that could add $10 a day or more.
What place is that? Most places west of Denver appear to be in the $99/night region (darn Ski areas!). I am looking at a place that looks like a hostel for around $38/night.
Ron

Back