• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's talk about a wheeling trip...

Willis

NAXJA Forum User
*The forums are now open for any and all to post, so lets get this forum moving*

NAXJA likes to see each chapter put on an annual NAXJA sanctioned event. Being that this is our first year, I think we should try to keep it simple. We may not have a lot of users at this time, however, when an event is announced, people seem to come out of the woodwork. Since this would be our first year, we have no idea what to expect. I've been part of a 'small' wheeling party that turned into 22 vehicles, oops. There is a point where the forestry service needs to be informed of a party of that magnitude. It's possible for there to be over 30 vehicles for our inaugural run, and it needs to be planned for accordingly.

So, to the details:

Should we plan a day event, or weekend? For some coming from longer distances, they'd probably end up spending the night anyway in a motel, so camping would be nice.

Location? I only have wheeling experience in the TSF, which I know has the camping to suit larger numbers, and the trails to suit everyone from mild to wild. Let's get some details on trails and the areas in both WA and OR. What's your experience?

Date? My personal preference would be mid-spring (april-may?). The ground would not be solid, so it makes the wheeling more interesting, plus there is a chance for good weather. Fall would not be too good because too many people are prepping for/recovering from Moab.

Name? I am kinda partial to NorthWest Fest, but let's here ideas on that too.

This year, let's just plan a simple wheeling/camping trip. Next year, maybe more. What I'd like to see for this event as it grows, is a multi-day event. Where we would wheel a couple days in Oregon, pack up the next morning and drive to the next location in Washington, then wheel a couple days there. The day we go from one area to the next, we could go all backroads, or go hwy 101 (with a stop in Astoria and/or Longbeach)? or just make a b-line for the next location?? That evening would include a BBQ and raffle, maybe vendor's showcase (we have some good vendors in the NW including Warn, Trail Ready, etc).

Remember, this would be a NAXJA sanctioned event, all vehicles must pass a tech/equipment inspection, and all participants must obey all rules.

So, let's here your thoughts and get some ideas flowing.

Steve

Just thinking about how cool it would be to see 30 XJ's rolling down highway 101 in a line. Browns camp in Tillamook could be an Oregon stop. I like the Spring idea, it would be warm enough to camp comfortably.

I think that you've hit the nail on head there Steve. It may be too early for some sort of week long NW Fest. At this point I would say that it's better to put that off until Fall 04 or even spring/summer 05. In the meantime we should just concentrate on some weekend trips around the NW. It would be nice to drive to an area Friday night, camp out (or get a motel if you are employed and/or rich :cry: ) meet the locals on Sat morning and wheel all day, and then maybe camp another night and do a short run on Sunday before the drive back home. TSF has a lot of camp sites and trails, and would work out great for a weekend trip like that. I'm willing to help out with the planning for a TSF run this spring, but to tell you the truth I'm sick of TSF and would really like to hit some trails up there in WA. But I'm sure others are sick of their backyard trails and would like to visit TSF so we should put it on the list for one weekend.

Maybe we can start another thread to just list all of the trails here in the NW. It's a common question that vistors ask "where are the trails", so maybe we should just sit down a list them.

Also while we're planning dates, let's remember EJS is 4/3 through 4/11, so we should keep those dates free on the calender.

The naches trails would be another choice. I believe they are near or on the way to Yakima from Seattle. Hopefully someone will chime in who knows right where they are.

P.S. I just realized that TSF you guys are discussing probably stands for Tillamook state forest or something similar...in which case it is Browns camp...I am an idiot :jester:

TRNDRVR said:
Here's a link for you NW boys that might be of some help for your event planning.

Thanks Dan, I completely forgot about that link. It's a good reference.

JJ13 said:
The naches trails would be another choice. I believe they are near or on the way to Yakima from Seattle. Hopefully someone will chime in who knows right where they are.

P.S. I just realized that TSF you guys are discussing probably stands for Tillamook state forest or something similar...in which case it is Browns camp...I am an idiot

From what I've heard, Naches would be a good choice too. It would be sort of in between the masses, a meet in the middle if you will. And yes, TSF=Tillamook State Forest, aka Browns Camp.

Erik said:
Also while we're planning dates, let's remember EJS is 4/3 through 4/11, so we should keep those dates free on the calender.

I completely forgot about EJS. Maybe we ought to shoot for the middle to end of May? Maybe the 15-16th, or 22-23rd? This would be our first annual event, and my preference would be where it happens each year around the same time. It makes it easier for folks to plan their lives around wheeling (isn't that what everyone does? ;) )

We may want to give some thought to doing this in the summer. The kids are out of school and there is a better chance of fair camping and wheeling weather. Wherever it is, it should have runs that can appeal to the stock XJs, the big lifts, and those in between

Again, great job making our chapter official.

Ben

Dawg Cherokee said:
We may want to give some thought to doing this in the summer. The kids are out of school and there is a better chance of fair camping and wheeling weather. Wherever it is, it should have runs that can appeal to the stock XJs, the big lifts, and those in between

Again, great job making our chapter official.

Ben

Problem with summer, is there is already a lot going on. Best of the West, XJ Fest CO, XJ Fest Rubicon, runs through the Duzy, JV, etc. I think we should be concerned with happenings on the West coast because some of us do make the journey to things outside our area. If summer is what the majority wants, that's what we'll do.

Willis said:
Problem with summer, is there is already a lot going on. Best of the West, XJ Fest CO, XJ Fest Rubicon, runs through the Duzy, JV, etc. I think we should be concerned with happenings on the West coast because some of us do make the journey to things outside our area. If summer is what the majority wants, that's what we'll do.

I don't see any JV runs this summer, it's too hot, we run it in spring and fall. Best of the West is a small run and is in Feb this year. The NAXJA Rubicon and CO trips are both in Aug, back to back. Tellico is in July, but that's on the east coast and won't interfere with anything in the NW. There may or may not be a Dusy trip this year, we don't do it every year and it was done the last two years.

Not trying to condradict what was said, just giving some info so you all can come up with a good time. I'd recomend not ruling out a summertime weekend, it could be a good time. I'm not suggesting anytime, just suggesting keeping a summer date in the running.

I have a brother in Portland, and have always wondered about what trails there are to run up there. Depending on when it is, and a multitude of other things, I might make a run up there and join you all.

Have fun,

I take it the conversation so far is Official naxja events.Any ideas on unoffcial or get togethers, runs or to meet members in Jan. Feb.

hards91xj said:
I take it the conversation so far is Official naxja events.Any ideas on unoffcial or get togethers, runs or to meet members in Jan. Feb.

Yes, we are talking NAXJA event here, but if you'd like to talk about unofficial runs, the forum is open for posting. Please feel free to post accordingly (actually, I encourage it to get the ball moving a bit more).

Richard,

Thanks for your input on this. I just through out events that I know have happened in the past during the summer/spring time, events that we ought to concern ourselves with. It looks as though anytime between April and August should be fine.

So, what do you all think about June 14th-15th?

Willis said:
Yes, we are talking NAXJA event here, but if you'd like to talk about unofficial runs, the forum is open for posting. Please feel free to post accordingly (actually, I encourage it to get the ball moving a bit more).

Richard,

Thanks for your input on this. I just through out events that I know have happened in the past during the summer/spring time, events that we ought to concern ourselves with. It looks as though anytime between April and August should be fine.

So, what do you all think about June 14th-15th?
The 14'th is a Monday...did you mean the 12th and 13th, or were you thinking of doing it during the week??

JJ13 said:
The 14'th is a Monday...did you mean the 12th and 13th, or were you thinking of doing it during the week??

Ya, 12th and 13th, I was looking at 03 :eek:

As far as location, I'm going to look into Naches and see what I can come up with. From the sound of it, it may be a new adventure for most of us (might make things interesting). If anyone else has information on Naches, please post links.

Thanks,
Steve

Willis said:
Ya, 12th and 13th, I was looking at 03 :eek:

As far as location, I'm going to look into Naches and see what I can come up with. From the sound of it, it may be a new adventure for most of us (might make things interesting). If anyone else has information on Naches, please post links.

Thanks,
Steve
Glad I could at least contribute one thing usefull :gee:

Well, after some searching, found Naches opens July 15th, and it only looks like it's one or two trails.

I did find a bunch of trails in the Rimrock Lake area. It is about 100 miles east of I-5 on hwy 12, 38 miles west of Yakima. This includes the semi-infamous trail "Pucker Ridge". It was listed as one of the 'top 10 trail you can die on' in one of the 4x rags. Not saying we'll attemp it, but it's there. There is some info on the area at www.nwjeepn.com . There is a lot of camping, plus fishing for those that wish to do so.

I'm going to try to contact the BLM because it was closed September 03 due to fires. I'd like to get some information on trails (maybe maps?) and visitor information.

Steve

The Pacific Northwest 4WD Association has their annual Jamboree at Naches July 8-11. From the description, there are a lot of trails to choose from. Check out the link and click on "events" for more info. Having ours in the same place a week or two later could save a lot of trail preparations.http://www.pnw4dwa.org/

Willis said:
I did find a bunch of trails in the Rimrock Lake area. It is about 100 miles east of I-5 on hwy 12, 38 miles west of Yakima. This includes the semi-infamous trail "Pucker Ridge". It was listed as one of the 'top 10 trail you can die on' in one of the 4x rags. Not saying we'll attemp it, but it's there. There is some info on the area at www.nwjeepn.com . There is a lot of camping, plus fishing for those that wish to do so.
Steve

Trail damage imminent. :D I'll mark it on my calendar. :D:D:D

Willis said:
I'll check that out. I just have not been able to find much information on WA trails at all. A lot of websites for the trails are for hiking and horseback, some motorcycle/atv, but not much info designated for 4x4. I'll contact them and see what kind of information they can provide about the trails, camping, etc in the area.

Late July is an option. What kind of 'trail preparations' are you talking about. I don't think they will be leaving markers, flags, or equipment behind, please elaborate.

Steve

Steve I think he means prep as directions, etc... One thing to keep in mind for that time of year is that it's prone to closures due to fire danger. Wonder what TSF is like that time of year?

Back