• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to reattach emblems on XJ body

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I need to reattach some emblems on my XJ, such as the "4X4" emblem on the rear quarter panel. There was a black tape, double sided holding it on, but failing, so I pulled it off, quite easily so it wouldn't fall off and be lost. . All my XJ's emblems were reattached when the XJ was repainted, many years before the XJ became my owner.

So what's a good reattachment tape to use? Or perhaps a squeeze tube adhesive? What was used by factory? (its a 1999)

I've always used 3M tape. Haven't had anything fall off yet.

JIM.

I work for 3M. All factory emblems, moldings etc are attached with 3M VHB tape. Trimming it can be an issue is small areas. Use only IPA to clean the surface of the paint and emblem. if prepped correctly it will bond forever. Also make sure when you stick it its lined up perfect. there is no repositioning after you stick it down.

Apply the 3m tape to the emblem and trim it with a good razor knife first. Then use the Isopropyl alchohol and stick it to the surface. Any good auto body supply store will have it or most auto parts stores.

Use masking tape to outline the position of the emblem. Then use this as a guide to align the badge.

Not with badging but other things.
Use the 3M 08984 adhesive remover to clean.
3M 06396 Adhesion Promoter.
3M VHB 5952 Double Sided Tape.
The VHB is no joke. Be where you want to be when using it.

3m tape. accept no substitute.

What! No Flex-Seal. :roflmao:

Back