• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange bump steer

Agreen

NAXJA Forum User
98 sport, 4wd stock height

I recently developed a death wobble, and subsequently fixed it by replacing the drag link (from Pittman arm to passenger knuckle). I also replaced the steering damper since it was damaged.

After replacing the worn components, I aligned it in the driveway, test drive confirmed the proper toe setting. Everything is good and straight, and I've even driven it about 5k miles since then with no tire wear.

Ever since, I've had some bad bump steer. The whole front end darts to one side when I hit a dip in the road.

-Everything is tight underneath
-Shocks are 2 years old
-Control arms and bushings are also 2 years old
-polyurethane sway bar bushings (also 2 years old)
-track bar is tight, no play

I have been reading that bump steer is common after lifting a vehicle due to drag link and track bars not being parallel. Again, my Jeep is at stock height. This is quite confusing.

Are the ball joints in good order? I had a similar problem I chased which was resolved after new ball joints and unit bearings were installed. A lower ball joint proved to be very warn.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For sure check the lower ball joints. Raise the car on stands till the front tires are just off the ground. Using a pry bar try and move them up looking for any play.

Also check the track bar at the frame end. Do this with tires on ground while having someone move the wheel side to side.

UPDATE:

The end result was bad shocks. Weird though, that they were less than 2 years old. Driver's side would bounce until it slowly tapered off. Passenger side was still dampened.

Moral of the story is: Don't buy Monroe shocks. I replaced my 300k mile OEM shocks, and went to a worse ride quality by changing them out.

Don't buy Monroe shocks.

Good advice.

About a year ago I bought a 99 with new Monroe shocks the PO installed. In about a year of pavement driving they were toast. Bilstein 4600 firmed up the smooshy ride, and really control the handling well. I have DoetschTech DT3000 on the 2000 XJ and BDS on the CJ-7 and would buy both of those again.

Back