• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case mount bolts

alfman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
1987 XJ, I just found that both bolts that hold the transfer case to the trans mount are missing. Anyone out there know what size these bolts are? They are the ones screwed into the transfer case.
Thanks

I know what you're talking about. I just dumped out a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full of factory bolts and I don't have one. I know it's big and fine thread. At least 12mm thread or bigger.

1987 XJ, I just found that both bolts that hold the transfer case to the trans mount are missing. Anyone out there know what size these bolts are? They are the ones screwed into the transfer case.
Thanks

The trans mount doesn't attach to the xfer case.

There was a recent thread about this.
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1151630

Most of use thought they were M10-1.5, but the poster said 7/16 thread was what actually fit. His was an ax5, so might vary depending on which tranny you have.

The trans mount doesn't attach to the xfer case.

There was a recent thread about this.
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1151630

Most of use thought they were M10-1.5, but the poster said 7/16 thread was what actually fit. His was an ax5, so might vary depending on which tranny you have.

Yeah, it's the adapter housing.

They're prone to loosening up and falling out though.

It was the 7/16-14 bolts. Threaded them in and one tightened right up, the other was just about tight on and found out it is stripped. Picked up a Heli-coil kit and have to drop the cross member and drill the stripped one out.
On a side note, I have had a nasty vibration for about 6 months which appears to be how long the bolts have been missing.

Back