• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scout 2 Rear D44

Ludakris

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i did a search and didnt get my answer.. I can get a Scout 2 D44 rear cheap. I know I need spring perches, but will everything else be fine for my 89' XJ? width, bolt circle? are the parts harder to find for this axle?
are there serious "cons" with this idea?

Ludakris said:
ok, i did a search and didnt get my answer.. I can get a Scout 2 D44 rear cheap. I know I need spring perches, but will everything else be fine for my 89' XJ? width, bolt circle? are the parts harder to find for this axle?
are there serious "cons" with this idea?
isn't it narrower?

I'm running one. I use 1" spacers from performance wheel to even out the width, as it is 58" stock. Brake parts can be a bit expensive - HUGE drums, so I'm running a disc conversion from TSM (should have stuck with the drums cause caddy calipers suck!) easy swap, just set the pinion angle and weld up some perches and shock mounts.

Good luck!

xj-grin said:
I'm running one. I use 1" spacers from performance wheel to even out the width, as it is 58" stock. Brake parts can be a bit expensive - HUGE drums, so I'm running a disc conversion from TSM (should have stuck with the drums cause caddy calipers suck!) easy swap, just set the pinion angle and weld up some perches and shock mounts.

Good luck!

OK, it sounds like its what I am going to go with.. I have heard good and bad about TSM so I will have to figure out breaks, but I think I will slap a spool, gears, spring perches, and shock mounts on it and hit the trails.

Stock Scout is 5 on 5.5 (sounds like your going tsm, so that really doesnt apply, but I figured i'd shoot teh info out there) :cheers:

I run a 44 from a scout 2. I have a 1 1/2" spacer with a 5 on 5-1/2 reduced to a 4 on 4-1/2 bolt pattern that I got from M.O.R.E.. The drums are hard to find. but how often do you replace those anyway??

Kejtar said:
isn't it narrower?

fabulous response, there kejtar, this thread definitly deserved to hear from you.

I ran a scout axle with spacers for a couple years on my xj.

you will need to weld new perches on, as well as shock mounts.

the drum brakes can be wierd, and sometimes hard to find. Mine were 11 1/8" and were spendy. Otherwise, a good donor for the rear.

I have one for sale as a matter of fact.

That axle would work, but why not try to get a xj dana 44 that will just bolt in? You should be able to find them cheap by U on the East Coast, heck a whole bunch of them showed up this summer on the West Coast in Sacramento.

Big Red said:
That axle would work, but why not try to get a xj dana 44 that will just bolt in? You should be able to find them cheap by U on the East Coast, heck a whole bunch of them showed up this summer on the West Coast in Sacramento.

well, I dont know where your looking but they arent all that cheap around here. besides, I will be paying more for stuff i will be getting rid of. I plan on a spool, 4.88? gears, aftermarket axles. Will this hold up to 35's? I tend to be hard on parts...

I would run the scout rear redrilled with spacers. Dont weld the other set of holes shut so you can switch back to the big lug pattern when you upgrade the front axle. XJ Dana 44s are a little pricey around here, you can find them but they want $400-$500 for one.

I think I will most likely go with aftermarket axles, and i have seen that the can come with both bolt circles, so I should be good on that area... I'm glad to hear I'm not the only guy who cant find an XJ d44 cheap... I think they are becoming collectors items....

ok, I got the axle. its backing plate to backing plate with no brakes. I plan on new axles, spool, and gears. I am looking to go disc brakes, but dont want to break the bank. I have read that the Nissan Titan has a Dana 44 "derivative" axle. will anything from this bolt to my axle? or, what should i do for good inexpensive brakes?

Back