• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sold the yj, looking at 2 xj's... need some advice/opinions. thanks!

fordtech

NAXJA Forum User
I sold the yj (kinda bittersweet), and am looking at xj's .
There are 2 im looking at

1- 97 country, 91,000 miles, loaded, black, great shape inside and out, drives good, mopar bugshield; ventvisors; and mudflaps, nice aluminums, 6600, (6999 with 1yr/12,500mi warrenty, which I will get). This is at a small dealer.

2- 98 sport, 79,000 miles, typical sport, gunmetal, looks good in and out, rusty steel wheels, not driven yet (going on lunch hour), 6000. This guy buys a few cars at auction here and there and sells them on the side....

Say that the 98 drives and runs as good as the country, what do you guys think is a good choice? I really fell in love with the country, but the sport is cheaper with less miles.

I sold the yj due to a new baby. We are putting tons of miles on our Liberty, so we wnted another 'family' vehicle. I will enjoy things like a/c, nice ride, no leaks, more power, and cargo room.... but will miss the yj alot though! I plan a mild lift and some aggresive tires, a roof rack and other mods to bring the xj up to 'snuff'.

Ill try to keep my future questions non-newbie for ya!!

Thanks guys!

Ain't no such thing as a "typical" Sport. My 2000 Sport has all the bells and whistles my wife's 2000 Classic has, except the Sport has a 5-speed and in 2000 they didn't offer the overhead console in the Sport.

I was going to recommend that you go with the Sport, for the year newer and lower mileage, but the fact that the steel wheels are rusty worries me. I live in New England. I have steel wheels on my MJ, and my '88 XJ had them for the first ten years of its life. No rust on either set of rims, so that Sport has been "run hard and put away wet."

Go with the '97 and get the extended warranty.

Eagle said:
Ain't no such thing as a "typical" Sport. My 2000 Sport has all the bells and whistles my wife's 2000 Classic has, except the Sport has a 5-speed and in 2000 they didn't offer the overhead console in the Sport.

I was going to recommend that you go with the Sport, for the year newer and lower mileage, but the fact that the steel wheels are rusty worries me. I live in New England. I have steel wheels on my MJ, and my '88 XJ had them for the first ten years of its life. No rust on either set of rims, so that Sport has been "run hard and put away wet."

Go with the '97 and get the extended warranty.
Get the 98 if both feel same on a test drive as my 98 in sunny california had slightly rusting wheels (not much but it had its spots).

The wheels arent that bad, just spots. I HATE steel wheels in NY!!

Im 50/50 right now......
98- 1 year newer, 15k less miles (actually has 76k on it), 600-1000 bucks cheaper, drives good runs good, clean inside and out, Seller will provide 3 month warrenty agianst major failure (just his, not a aftermarket type warrenty).

97 - year older, 15k more miles, 1000 bucks more, drives and runs excellent, clean in and out, loaded! has 1 year/ 12,500 mile warrenty from guardian.

It really comes down to preference in my mind now. cloth or leather? Black or gunmetal? steel wheels or aluminum? 76k or 91k? guardian warrenty or joe's warrenty?

Thanks for any advice either way!!

With the NY address the first thing I would do is crawl underneath and look at the rust. We were down in NJ back in jan or feb looking for a newer shorty to replace my sons YJ. There were a couple of them there and a white one really caught my eye till I looked underneath, considering it was 98TJ the rust was just unreal. I've seen less rust on 56 buicks parked in a farmers field for 40 years than this one had on it. Found that it came from upstate syracuse area, still had the new dealer sticker/plate/name on the rear body so I looked it up. We settled on 97TJ teal w/white soft top for $500 less but immaculate inside and out.

Back