• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpers

sassyspapa

NAXJA Forum User
:wave1: Ordered new bumpers from JCR off-road. Any good ideas on finishing these things? Thinking of using rubberized under coating. Anything I should be doing to the vehicle in preparation for mounting other than using their kit. Anybody with experience out there. Thank you !!!!

Last edited:
i would get them powder coated, or just rattle can i would not use a rubberized coating

if its gona be on a mall crawler, chrome it. wheeled- than rattle can it so that touch ups are easier and match better.

I used Herculiner and like it really well. It's no lip as well so when I jump on the bumper to get a tire or something off the roof I have an even chance of not slipping off and breaking my a##.

I tried the undercoating thing, it didn't stick worth a damn and I ended up finishing the bumpers all over again. Rattlecanned them with rustoleum and then did my rails the same way.

The bumpers come nasty from jcr, make sure you hit them with a sander and wipe them down good before you paint them, or you'll be doing it twice.

I've got a protofab bumper and i had it powder coated in black crinkle coat and it looks sweet and i havent scratched it yet.

I hit mine with brake cleaner and shop rags really good. A good coat of self-etching primer and a coat of Rustoleum satin black over that. I think the rattle can is the way to go if you wheel at all. Easy to touch up and looks good too.

Back