• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dutchman 35 spline dana 44 shafts?

proskier101

NAXJA Forum User
i was thinking of running a set anyone here have feedback on the company or 35 spline 44s? apparently ARB and detroit have 35 spline lockers...but summit and 4wp didnt have part numbers

one concern with shafts that strong. where would the weak link now be?
not sure if it would still be the shafts themselves, breaking somewhere in the middle. or would the ring and pinion gears now be weak points, which would suck if they were. new shafts are rather simple and straight forward to change, even on the trail. new gears, not so much.

beakie said:
one concern with shafts that strong. where would the weak link now be?
not sure if it would still be the shafts themselves, breaking somewhere in the middle. or would the ring and pinion gears now be weak points, which would suck if they were. new shafts are rather simple and straight forward to change, even on the trail. new gears, not so much.

thats exactly what i was thinking..and with 5.13 gears my pinion is a little thing..but even if a shafts break...33 or 35 spline is not a spare normally carried...im willing to bet with florida's sand, mud, limerock pits..i could run 38"s. if i get a detroit or OX or ARB i would think the next weak link would be a drive shaft U joint right?

and i have spares of those..

but has anyone else heard of dutchman? i got alot of info from pirate so far

my brother runs the 33 splines on his tj with an ox locker and 5:38's. He's only running 33's though. His 33 spline shafts are the same size as my 30 spline d60 shafts. He's obviously has never broken anything on it nor does he plan to..

:thumbup:
edit: he's running superiors too

ChrisRFewell said:
but has anyone else heard of dutchman? i got alot of info from pirate so far
Dutchman is a machine shop in Portland, OR. Mainly axles and stuff.

I run custom Dutchman domestic (Superior blanks) inners on my hp44 in the front. No problems.

If you're wanting to go bigger than a stock 30 spline shaft for the rear, (assuming you have an xj 44) I would just recomend Superior's Super 44 kit with whatever locker you want. It comes with either a Detroit or an ARB. I personally have the Super 44 kit with 33 spline axle shafts and Detroit.

I have the Dutchman/ARB setup you're refering to. I just painted everything and hope to have it installed soon. I will be running 4:88's and will comment when I get it finished.

xalexjx said:
my brother runs the 33 splines on his tj with an ox locker and 5:38's. He's only running 33's though. His 33 spline shafts are the same size as my 30 spline d60 shafts. He's obviously has never broken anything on it nor does he plan to..

:thumbup:
edit: he's running superiors too

Then your brother has some rare 33 spline shafts. Dana 44 and Dana 60 30 spline shafts are the same size, 1.31". I cant remember exactly what 33 spline shafts are, 1.43" I think. 35 spline is 1.5". I would never 35 spline a 44, 33 spline is a good upgrade though.

30 spline 44 shafts are the same thickness as 30 spline 60 shafts.

33 spline are 1.41" while the 30 spliners are 1.31" like previously said.

i had the 33 spline 44 with ox locker and on the rocks has been fine for about 7 months then the ring and pinion decided to get into a fight and strip away

Rockslut said:
Then your brother has some rare 33 spline shafts. Dana 44 and Dana 60 30 spline shafts are the same size, 1.31". I cant remember exactly what 33 spline shafts are, 1.43" I think. 35 spline is 1.5". I would never 35 spline a 44, 33 spline is a good upgrade though.

Well it's a good thing I did'nt get your opinion before I bought mine.

I have never heard of to strong of an axle. If you need to engineer a weak point sacrifice traction, get smaller tires, higher gears, or lower horsepower.

xalexjx said:
personally i'd rather have the weak link be the axles then the ring and pinion and housing.

how about the u-joint on the drive shaft? i would think that would blow first..then again it doest get oppisite forces like the r&P from each tire..anyways only ARB has a 35 splin locker and that is out of my budget..i guess 33 spline it is soon

Back