• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

couple question bout rebuilding leaf packs, particularly the center pins

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
are the center pins in leafs packs that hold each leaf together a specialty Item? I saw them on rusty's offroad website, but Im wondering are they something I can simply pick up at a sears hardware (grade 8 bolt)?

I'm rebuilding a leaf pack and thats a necessity on the rebuild, another question is, the very bottom leaf (a real thick but short leaf, I think their called overload leafs) is broken in half, are these required to sit right on the spring perch, If they aint they will the leafs dearch them selfs backwards? I also have a set of stock leafs, I was gonna use some of them to add to the pack but I'v been told the more leafs, yes you get more Lift, but they wont flex for crap If theres to many leafs...Just some questions, Thanks

oh yea heres a lil more I may have left out:

The spring pack is a tomken 4-4.5" spring pack, not sure exact height, Its got some rust but the bushings on the ends are in good shape...Like I said the fat overload leafs that were on the bottom of each spring pack cracked in half somehow and have been tossed away as garbage...then Im replacing the center pin Just for good measures and to do things right....
Like I said I had a XJ stock spring pack to work with If I need to add a leaf or two...maybe the 2 main leafs from the stock pack for an extra 2".
Any more advice on the rebuild?
I plan to pull them apart, sand them down a bit, and spray on some black rustoleum, throw in a new center pin, I have new leafs clamps ready to go on, clean the bushings and grease them, then I'll grease the leaf pack up and they should be good as new

Please add any comments or advice on anything I could have left out!

Get the real deal.

I used some grade 8 bolts on mine and just happened to dissassemble 3 months later to change something....The pins looked like a staircase. They can take a lot of abuse if anything is loose....so retorque it all when your done.

Most good real auto parts store will carry the center pins in various lengths and dia`s. Cant remember what rig it was on but we picked up some thin sheet teflon and put it between the leafs before clamping and pinning them. things rode like a caddy. look in McMaster Carrs catalog for sheet goods.

Back