• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Window

river6822

NAXJA Forum User
HELP - Driver's side power window goes down too far and the motor won't grab it to pull it back up. If I remove the inner door skin and lift on the window glass the motor will grab it and lift it. The Haynes manual does not show anything about a stop at the bottom, and I can't find one in the door. Shouldn't there be and adjustable stop at the bottom of one of the tracks? What am I missing ?

oh - 1992 Cherokee Laredo

not to hijack the thread, but when the window goes down in auto it makes a popping sound till i stop it. 98 sport

It is more likely that the track/regulator is worn. It wears at the bottom and top because there is the most stress here, it happens because when you roll the window all the way up or down, it stops, but the motor keeps trying to turn the regulator. In my experience, you can sometimes clean it all up and be ok, but not always. And since it does rquire taking it apart, it is sometimes better to replace it with a new one or one in better shape. Or you can put some sort of stop on the track that will keep the window from reaching that point. Maybe a collar with a setscrew or something. I hope this helps and if I am incorrect about any of this somebody may be able to provide some insight.
Dustin

So there is no adjustable stop on this track ?

The only thing I left out before was that the motor makes a terrible clicking noise when it tries to pick up the "lost" glass. When the glass is "on track" it makes no strange sounds.

I also just noticed that the glas has some side to side play in it. Is this adjustable?

I just can't get a good look inside that inner door and not knowin exactly what I'm looking at doesn't help much.

Does anyone have a diagram of what's supposed to be in there?:confused:

The play in the glass is pretty normal. It doesn't help matters, but it has more to do with the weatherstripping being worn out. There is a single bolt that attatches the window to the slider, so there is going to be some play. I really don't think there is technically a stop. The bracket that holds the window does bottom out on the bracket attatching the track to the door. So it does stop, but nothing tells the motor to quit applying power. SO if you roll your window down and keep pushing the button after it is down, something is eventually going to give. THe somewhat grinding sound is the motor gear slipping on the "track". So like I said, you could theroretically put a stop in there at a higher point to keep the window from reaching the worn part. I just had one apart and should have taken pictures, but I didn't. I have another to do so I will try to postpics. If you get it apart, you will wonder why it lasted as long as it did.
Dustin

i've had two different XJ's with manual cranks that do the same thing... i just put a small piece of tape on the top edge of the window to use as a guide when to stop to avoid problems...
mike

Thanks for the info - I'm going to get in there over the weekend and see if there's anything I can do with the motor or adding a mechanical stop. I'll keep you posted.

LT1XJ - Look forward to the pics if you can get them.

Back