NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 9th, 2005, 20:35
NAXJA Forum User

cargo area bed liner

hey guys.
today I put bedliner down in the rear of the jeep. Just wanna see what you guys think thus far. It's not done but would love some input. click the link, then click the jeep, then cargo link thanks
btw- just built that page tonight, not criticism...lol thanks

http://www.geocities.com/cjwalkeriii/index.html
Old April 9th, 2005, 22:53
NAXJA Forum User

Re: cargo area bed liner

I did the same thing in the back of mine. Since the first day I owned it, there was a dog piss smell back there that I couldn't get out. Also, I have a dog that loves to go swimming in the lake when I go fishing! Overall I think it turned out great. To clean it, i just take a wet towel and wipe it down. What I don't like is anything I have back there slides all over the place. I also did my door openings front and rear. Mud and dirt always gets up in there anyway I took those cheap plastic covers off filled the holes up with a little JB weld and sprayed away.
Old April 10th, 2005, 00:03
NAXJA Forum User

thanks for the reply. I wonder if theres anything we can spray on to improve its tackiness? I have a removable sunroof that i like to take out and usually i put it back there, but if its gonna slide all over, well that dosent seem like a good idea. If I find anything I will let you know. thanks again
Old April 10th, 2005, 07:37
NAXJA Forum User

Did you put anything on the rust before you put the bedliner down? Do you think the rust will eventually come throught the liner?

I am in the process of putting in a new floor, It will get POR15'ed and I am not sure If I will bedline on top of that.

katarn
Old April 10th, 2005, 12:59
NAXJA Forum User

the only rust that i saw was surface, and i took some sandpaper and cleaned it off. I thought about using a rustoleum but I wasn't sure if the bad liner would take to it. Let's just hope that it dosen't go through lol
Old April 10th, 2005, 13:41
NAXJA Forum User

Next thing you know you'll be looking like me--

Being able to hose it out is amazing-- makes clean up sooo much easier.
Old April 10th, 2005, 13:58
NAXJA Forum User

I'm thinking about doing that ^

but when I was ripping my carpet out this last weekend I found a 5 or so places that the rust had eaten through the floor. So now I get to weld replace some sheet-metal. I was also thinking about using some large-diameter bolts as draing plugs.
Old April 10th, 2005, 14:07
NAXJA Member #1016

I just finished mine a few minutes ago (front of the jeep that is). Now its just time to wait for it to cure and put everything back in. I think I might do the cargo area in the near future as I still have about 1/2 gallon left after doing 3 coats.
Old April 10th, 2005, 15:26
NAXJA Forum User

91xj, you used three coats too. Do you think that's enough or should we put more on? btw ctavel, looks awesome nice job
Old April 10th, 2005, 16:31
NAXJA Forum User

There are multiple drain holes already in the tub of the XJ, so I really doubt that you'll need anymore. But if you are trying to cover the holes you can just reuse the stock covers.

I got very lucky with my floors because I had no serious rust to deal with. If you are set on adding drain

Thanks for the compliment--
Old April 10th, 2005, 17:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctavel
There are multiple drain holes already in the tub of the XJ, so I really doubt that you'll need anymore. But if you are trying to cover the holes you can just reuse the stock covers.
A lot of the drain points will be coming out when I start replacing the floor, that's the only reason I'm going to create some of my own
Old April 10th, 2005, 18:22
NAXJA Forum User

What type of bedliners are everyone using?
I was thinking of putting some bedliner on my rockers, has anyone ever tried this? I heard that it peels off easly when you hit a rock. what do you guys think?
Old April 10th, 2005, 18:52
NAXJA Forum User

I used Herculiner and used the better part of the gallon can I bought. I also did my BPI Bumper with the extra Herc. My only complaint about the Herc is that on the BPI it's begun to fade into a gray that the interior never did since its covered. Now that I'v chopped the rear portion of the roof off it'll be interesting to see how badly the Herc fades back there.
Old April 11th, 2005, 14:30
NAXJA Member #1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalkeriii
91xj, you used three coats too. Do you think that's enough or should we put more on? btw ctavel, looks awesome nice job
I used Duplicolor bedliner since I figured the extra trexture of the herculiner would tend to trap more dirt and other garbage. As to 3 coats being enough only time will tell but I figure since they say use 2 coats I'd give it one extra. Since I still have about 1/2 gallon left I can alwyas roll another coat or 2 or use it for touch ups in the future.
Old April 11th, 2005, 14:54
NAXJA Member

Talking Re: cargo area bed liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalkeriii
btw- just built that page tonight, not criticism...lol thanks

http://www.geocities.com/cjwalkeriii/index.html
i dig the page -

geocitites tends to be a biach about bandwidth though..

one pet peeve about webpages - choose ONE background and use that ONE background for everything....
Nothing in Moderation . . .. . . . .... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . competitor #91 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Ride Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan C. View Post
As if the program is running with some high level of integrity and only the best of the best win.