• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering pop that I CAN'T identify!

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
Ugh,

99 3.5 lift, double sheer Trac bar new, all Tre ends are moog zj & fairly new, ball joints New.

I've stuck my phone videoing on this from so many angles. my head is spinning not being able to find this grimmlin that knocks on hard left or right steering.

I videoed in the engine bay, wheel well, underneath, and I can't see anything popping or moving irregularly. I feels like it's close to the Trac bar mount, but it's solid as a rock, no flex.

Can a steering box pop?

Im going to try dropping the track bar next to see if that does anything, otherwise im beside myself.

Last edited:
I had something similar. Turns out the frame rail was flexing around the cross member. Built I big steeri gbox brace and it fixed it. It was kinda similar in design to boostwerks.

I had something similar. Turns out the frame rail was flexing around the cross member. Built I big steeri gbox brace and it fixed it. It was kinda similar in design to boostwerks.

the trans crossmember? or the vertical portion behind the bumper?

other than needing to be parallel with the draglink, are there any other issues that i could be missing on a double shear?
both ends are johnny joint

Last edited:
You could try some chassis ears... I've seen some cheap sets that are about the same price that the shop I work at now would charge you to hook up a set lol. (At least here in the United States of, well, I dunno if Freedom is the right word any more...)

They're kinda like a bunch of microphones that you can clip onto various parts. All the "microphones" run into a box with a multi-position switch that you can use to switch between between channels, a volume knob, and a headphone jack. You drive the thing around and when it starts making noise, you start flipping the switch around and find out which channel the noise is the loudest in. Then you start moving all the "microphones" towards that channel and repeat until you narrow down your problem child.

How many nuts are supposed to be on the interior frame rail? I see two welded bolts towards the firewall, just after the engine mount. Do these normally have nuts on them?

Anytime I had a "pop", it was the trackbar!

Back