• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0705 issue, no reverse lights

dirtyjerseyjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I have a 99 xj aw4, it was throwing a p0705 code for trans range sensor, so I cleaned it and nothing changed, so I went and bought a new one thinking it would solve my problems, tried adjusting it every which way still no rev lights, and still getting same code, I'm at a loss, I check all fuses, wiring looked good from what I can see. Now the other issue I'm having is that every other start up the jeep will go into od then every other it won't. Any help will be appreciated, I've searched and haven't found a solution

Re: Helppppppp

From your symptoms and code, the problem is almost assuredly in the "circuit" for the neutral safety switch.

You've replaced the switch so you know that isn't the problem.

I suspect a wiring problem. Looking at the wiring doesn't eliminate it as a problem. I'd dig in further.

The NSS provides the TCU with INPUT data on the PHYSICAL location of the shift mechanism, so yes, it does effect things.

So you don't think it could be the tcu at all?

The TCU has NO effect on the backup lights--that is a NON-transmission function of the NSS, but it is based on the PHYSICAL location of the shift selector in REVERSE. If your backup lights aren't working then the NSS is BROKEN or INCORRECTLY ADJUSTED if we ASSUME that the lamp circuit is functioning as designed--power, ground, working filaments.

Agreed. The reverse lights are directly fed off the reverse light contact on the NSS, if they aren't working you have either an NSS adjustment/function issue like Joe said, OR you have a blown fuse or broken wire somewhere upstream of it.

The 97/98+ TCU is pretty smart, it uses the ISS and OSS to actually detect if the transmission is in the gear range it expects based off the inputs it receives from the NSS and the signals it's sending to the shift solenoids, so the P0705 code could definitely be caused by the same root issue.

I concur, 3 out 3 votes have it!!!! :D

So it has to be the nss and nothing else? I have no power to the rear tails with an ohm meter while its in reverse, could it just be a wire shorted out from the nss? But can't be a solenoid or tcu

So it has to be the nss and nothing else? I have no power to the rear tails with an ohm meter while its in reverse, could it just be a wire shorted out from the nss? But can't be a solenoid or tcu

NO. If a new NSS did solve the problem:

OR you have a blown fuse or broken wire somewhere upstream of it.

The 97/98+ TCU is pretty smart, it uses the ISS and OSS to actually detect if the transmission is in the gear range it expects based off the inputs it receives from the NSS and the signals it's sending to the shift solenoids, so the P0705 code could definitely be caused by the same root issue.

Or shorted wires in the harness, loss of grounds...or bad connections in the connectors

Back