NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 20th, 2007, 20:50
NAXJA Forum User

2001 XJ Alarm question

I have a 2001 XJ sport with the keyless entry alarm. This is a factory alarm. We bought the XJ in 2001. The '01 was a body a rebuild, it had been totaled in a car wreck, motor's still fine, we had the body rebuilt soon after we bought it. The keyless entry works on it and everything, but when I set it to lock on my remote is a security light supposed to come on in the dashboard? I tested to see if the alarm would work by turning off the XJ and using the remote to lock the doors, the car honked when I did this, then I unlocked my driver's side door manually, and opened it up. The alarm never went off like it should of. What do I need to do to get this functioning right? Fuses? Relays? Any answers would be appreciated.
Old December 20th, 2007, 21:10
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 2001 XJ Alarm question

With a factory alarm, there probably wouldn't be a flashing light. Aftermarket alarms, like the one I have, have a flashing light. Similarly, an OE alarm system may not be as sofisticated as an aftermarket one so the effet that you describe when you open the door with the key and the alarm armed may not need to happen. With my experience, when I opened the door with the key the alarm took a few seconds to go off. Some alarms also have a hidden button that can be pushed during alarming in the unfortunate event that you locked and armed the key inside.
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:49
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 2001 XJ Alarm question

Its just a keyless entry,no alarm,it does have the panic button.