NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Events > Past NAXJA Events > PAST NAXJA EVENTS > Fall Fling 2016
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Fall Fling 2016 October 5th - 8th, 2016 in Moab, UT

Old May 9th, 2016, 20:15
NAXJA Forum User

White Rim Trail Overnight October 3, 2016

I am going to try to get a campsite on the White Rim Trail for October 3, 2016, either White Crack or Candelstick or whatever is available. According to the new NPS rules, these cannot be requested before June 3rd (4 months). Two more vehicles can accompany me so post up if you are interested. This will be before the Fall Fling actually starts, and I may have to move the overnight to October 4th. The competition is high for this trail at this time. OLD MAN, interested? Anyone else? Let me know so I can plan and try to wrangle this one--Sandy Steve
Old May 10th, 2016, 08:24
NAXJA Member

Re: White Rim Trail Overnight October 3, 2016

Definitely interested.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 23:22
NAXJA Forum User

The best choice I had at 12:00.01 AM was Potato Bottom for an overnight campsight. All of the half-way sites were already booked according to the National Park Service website. I cry "foul", but what can we do? So, Tom I have a reservation for 3 vehicles to do the White Rim Trail beginning October 3, 2016. We have a campsite at Potato Bottom which is about 3/4 of the way around if you start at the Shaeffer Trail. Anyone else want to be the third vehicle? Post up.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 07:00
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandySteve View Post
The best choice I had at 12:00.01 AM was Potato Bottom for an overnight campsight. All of the half-way sites were already booked according to the National Park Service website. I cry "foul", but what can we do? So, Tom I have a reservation for 3 vehicles to do the White Rim Trail beginning October 3, 2016. We have a campsite at Potato Bottom which is about 3/4 of the way around if you start at the Shaeffer Trail. Anyone else want to be the third vehicle? Post up.
Let me know and I will pony up some $$$ for the site. I'm looking forward to this. I wonder if they would let me pull my offroad teardrop trailer?
Old June 3rd, 2016, 08:53
NAXJA Forum User

I have the reservation, and when they confirm it I will contact them and ask about the trailer. I did see a guy with a river-running boat on a trailer on the White Rim Trail the last time I was on it, but that was almost 20 years ago. The rules may have changed. As far as money, it's only $30 total. I won't worry about it one way or the other. We can discuss logistics later, but you said you want to take a bunch of photographs, so I recommend getting an early start on the 3rd, as the best light for pictures is before 10:00 AM and in the evening.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 09:20
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandySteve View Post
I have the reservation, and when they confirm it I will contact them and ask about the trailer. I did see a guy with a river-running boat on a trailer on the White Rim Trail the last time I was on it, but that was almost 20 years ago. The rules may have changed. As far as money, it's only $30 total. I won't worry about it one way or the other. We can discuss logistics later, but you said you want to take a bunch of photographs, so I recommend getting an early start on the 3rd, as the best light for pictures is before 10:00 AM and in the evening.
Roger that. My wife and I were professional photographers for years.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 20:13
NAXJA Member

Any body else interested?
Old July 23rd, 2016, 18:35
NAXJA Forum User

Check out the PM I sent you... Trailers OK. Don't have a third, but a guy at work is really interested.
Old July 29th, 2016, 12:12
NAXJA Member #496

Would either one of you like to take on a support vehicle role while I ride along on the MTB?

93 XJ 4.0 aw4 np231 weekend trail wagon
87 MJ 2.5 4sp 2wd progressing truck project
Depart not from the path of choice. Try again. sobe cap
Old July 29th, 2016, 14:17
NAXJA Forum User

This should be possible. MTB's (I assume mountain bikes) are swarming the trail at this time of the year. You will certainly be able to travel faster than the XJ's if we are stopping to take photos. We could throw whatever equipment in our vehicle for the camping at Potato Bottom so you don't have to overload the bike.
Old August 1st, 2016, 16:16
NAXJA Forum User

We now have our limit on vehicles (three). I cannot accommodate any more XJ's etc. but am still willing to be the support vehicle for a mountain bike. We all must start together on October 3, and Tom wants to take a bunch of pics so we should try to start early. I'll find out when the rangers are available to check us in and will let you know. Looking forward to it. Steve
Old August 1st, 2016, 16:29
NAXJA Member #496

Yes mountain bike, and yeah I'm not set up for bike-packing yet so if you could take on a little of my back packing gear, shoe box of bike tools, etc. I'd likely stop for photos once in a while as well depending on the light. You'll pass me on the big climbs I'm sure. Are you thinking of traveling clockwise or counter clockwise?

93 XJ 4.0 aw4 np231 weekend trail wagon
87 MJ 2.5 4sp 2wd progressing truck project
Depart not from the path of choice. Try again. sobe cap
Old August 2nd, 2016, 07:26
NAXJA Member

Most run the trail clockwise.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:12
NAXJA Forum User

I agree... Clockwise.
Old September 7th, 2016, 12:27
NAXJA Forum User

Well I'll be in town on the 1st of October so if you still have a spot I might be up for it (though it won't be my XJ).