• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission to water cooler, radiator

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi.. My new to me jeep has the radiator to ATF cooler, and an added air to ATF auxiliary cooler. the air cooler is in front of the radiator and ac hot coil. the hose from the radiator to ATF auxiliary cooler is installed on the upper radiator ATF port, the port on radiator is a 3/8 inch flare, male fitting and the folks that installed the auxiliary cooler have a couple inch long copper pipe flare fitting hooked to that, with the rubber hose clamped to the pipe. That pipe is as short as can be and still allow room for the flaring tool, but it is so long that it causes the rubber hose to be pinched against the airfilter housing. Id like to install a 90 degree fitting, there to prevent the hose from being pinched.
I am happy using plain hoses and clamps on barbed fittings, the current short copper pipe sticking out the fitting is flared on the hose end, else it could have been shorter.

My questions are...

Can the stock male flare fitting on radiator be removed, it appears to have a nut on its base, up against the radiator? I dont want to go turning it and find it is molded into the plastic side radiator tank.

If removable, what thread is it?

Other options to get a short 90 degree fitting for a hose barb on the radiator?

This is a 1990 Cherokee, original factory radiator.

Thanks!

The factory ATF cooler coil is one piece with the upper and lower fittings held onto the tank with nuts. That's only serviceable when removing/replacing the radiator tank.

Thank you for info, I was afraid of that seeing the nut on the fitting made me suspect that. Ill leave it be and try to source a 90 degree flare fitting of some sort, or maybe try to solder together a copper 90 degree tube out of two lengths of copper pipe and a block of copper drilled to accept the pipes at 90 degrees from each other.

All the 90 degree fittings I have found so far with a female flare end have a male flare on the other end, Id prefer a hose barb other other end, but I guess I can rig one up with a second flare fitting on the male end of the 90 degree fitting that terminates in a open pipe end that I will flare the end of the pipe of for hose retention.

I need to keep the overall length pretty short to clear the air filter housing., about an inch past the flare nut on the radiator is all I have.

Lots of things to do on the new jeep to make it reliable! Once I get her running, its fluid change time! A few wires need to be fixed up, and then time to offroad!

Ill be adding a steering fluid cooler after my new pump arrives, AGR high pressure pump and gear, 33 inch tires, so Ill probably need the cooler so I am told for best life of the power steering.

I wonder at which point I add too much heat infront of my radiator to start to cause the motor to run too hot?

Does this help?
picture.php

In the picture you can see both the upper and lower fittings for the trans cooler on my radiator -- I swapped over to -6 an hose and fittings because I only wanted to replace those lines once

Thanks for the photograph. You are running AN fittings, are these 37 degree flare, the AN fittings I have found are 37 degree flare. the flare fitting on my radiator is a 45 degree flare.

I know the 37 and 45 degree flare will hook up, but the sealing is not as secure.

ok, on my 90 cherokee the stock fitting on the upper radiator atf port is a 3/8 inch 45 degree male flare.

what I found at the wrecker off a grand cherokee is the upper atf radiator fitting is the same size as on my cherokee, and the grand cherokee metal line attached to the atf radiator fitting has a nice 90 degree bend. I will use this metal pipe, cutting it past the bend and add a flare on the end to secure my rubber hose to it.

this should solve the problem, the grand cherokee metal pipe will clear my air filter box!

also I grabbed a grand cherokee auxilary atf cooler (ie air to atf cooler) for use as a power steering cooler, as I have a high pressure steering gear and pump and 33 inch tires.

anyhow, I think that will solve my atf house routing issue.

Back