• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adapter for steering wheel controls?

BlueGerbil

NAXJA Forum User
I´m in the process of buying (read: saving for) a 2000/2001 XJ after totalling my ´90 trail rig. It has the controls for the radio/cd player at the steering wheel, right?

Are there any adapters to control a headunit from Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood? If so, where I can find something like that for the XJ? And what´s the name for it? I´m no native speaker, so please bear with me.

Here in Germany you can get such adapters for the "Cherokee 2002 and up" aka KJ, but there seems to be nothing for the good ol´XJ.

I´m in the process of buying (read: saving for) a 2000/2001 XJ after totalling my ´90 trail rig. It has the controls for the radio/cd player at the steering wheel, right?

Are there any adapters to control a headunit from Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood? If so, where I can find something like that for the XJ? And what´s the name for it? I´m no native speaker, so please bear with me.

Here in Germany you can get such adapters for the "Cherokee 2002 and up" aka KJ, but there seems to be nothing for the good ol´XJ.
You are probably having a hard time because the controls on the 97+ wheel are for cruise control, not radio functions.

just find the wheel you want to use that has the controls butmake sure it will fit on your column, then wire it up to the head unit.

XJ's don't have radio controls built into the steering wheel.

If you really want to make that happen use a ZJ steering wheel/airbag. Though its likely that the ZJ cruise buttons will have the incorrect resistance and your cruise will not work.

The WJ wheel will fit. Don't know about button operations though.

Yes, either need to use a ZJ or WJ wheel/airbag/button/cruise buttons.

Problem is, you will need a different clockspring as well to use the radio buttons.
(and the issue is still present that the cruise control buttons will probably have different resistances than the stock XJ ones. WJ buttons might be correct. Might be.)

Basically, this is a whole lotta work for getting some radio buttons on your steering wheel.

Back