• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It doesn't take an engine

This is kind of a tough subject to take sides on - I absolutely disagree with illegal trail building, but it's true that most rec areas lack trails challenging enough for advanced riders. I don't think it's viable for these extreme trails to exist on public land with the local government's knowledge without having to jump through a ton of hoops first - their primary concern being liability in the event of an accident. Environmental protection is secondary. That's just the crutch they lean on to make it easier to say "Sorry, it's just too risky for the environment. There's a rare breed of horsefly that inhabits the area, we can't risk it".
I don't know that there is a truly great solution to this issue. Places like Ski Bowl and Whistler (should mention both in the same sentence) are ideal - with a lift, emergency services, a maintained trail system, etc... But how many 16 to 25 year old guys are going to spend the money on gas and a lift ticket to ride up on the mountain every time they want to ride? We need more options closer-in. In our area, how about some kick-butt runs up near OHSU, under the gondola? You stack it up, it's a short cable-car ride up to the hospital.
Seriously, though - there are just too many idiots out there that'll screw things up for those of us that spend the time and effort to do things right, within the law. Even if these trails were made legal, there'd be an equal number of jackasses that would tear up the trails or surrounding forest to their liking.

Well being a bike rider...I see the reasoning behind the trails. The thing is MOST of the time the illegal trails do very little harm other then a few trails and obsticles, it's a little different then hug offroad trails since we're a little bigger + use gas. I've ridden my share of "illegal" bike trails, and most are ones that the police look the other way on..so in a sence they're illegal in writting but no one cares since they're already there and in use. The only time a majority of bike trails become a problem is when someone gets hurt and sues someone for something.

That being said I don't think it's a good habbit to start building illegal trails, especially if specifically posted or asked not to (which of course means don't ride there if people care). But in some cases I think it's just the beginning to legitamize a good trail system in a capable place. Take Japanese Gultch in Everett for example. It started out illegal but no one really cared, people got hurt and then it became a problem, and now bikers and hikers all over are fighting to KEEP the use of the trails with most city officials on their side.

The bike trail legal problems aren't as bad as 4wheeling but they're getting there.

~Scott

I love some of the opinions expressed in this thread, its ok because bikes do not tear up the land as much as 4x4's wheeling illegally. From some of the same people that get completely fired up over someone being young and dumb and posting pics of them wheeling illegally.

It does not matter if its wheeling illegally, graffiti on rocks, illegal bike trails or campfires when they are prohibited, people doing bonehead/illegal things is the most harmful thing to keeping public lands open in some usable form, if its illegal don't do it.

I have a bit of a rant about cyclists in general, share the damn road, I don't care if you want to talk to your friends while you are out riding, riding 3-4 across on a two lane road with a speed limit of 55mph is not smart and I constantly here people complaining 'I almost got hit by some redneck in his truck' well guess what, where I live its not the country, but a damn site closer to country than urban and when I am locking up my brakes going around a corner because a bunch of cyclist think they can block a road on a sunday afternoon, its not my fault you get hurt or hit or run into a ditch, I will do everything in my power to avoid you and not cause an accident, conversely so should a cyclist.

this post is not pointed at anyone in general, just general frustration with people that contend, its not that harmful in this situation so it shouldn't be illegal. :anon:

Also, if you feel strongly that something should be made legal advocate for it, don't just go around the law and make it harder for people who want to do it the proper way.

There are parts of the Pacific Crest trail that have been shut down and rerouted due to the impact that the hiking use has had on the environment. Every use of the outdoors has some impact. I posted the article because we need to remember that the other aspects of land use come into play. If the Preservationists get their hackles up they are going after motorized uses first and other wheeled uses a distant second. It is our job to be conservationists. Use it wisely and ensure the sustainability of the land for the future. I specifically said USE :) Get out and enjoy, wisely!

I think the main issue here is that they're building ramps and obstacles on the trails.

Well if we smack the retards that litter...

Some of the ramps they build go like 20feet up they also mentioned the cutting of trees to build them. I'm sure a splash of oil is easier to overlook then eye sore ramps.

We all have to tread lightly being a bike doesn't excuse leaving man made crap on a illegal trail. Hell we get fined hundreds of dollars for leaving the trail why shouldn't they.

Most four wheelers I've met shun those who don't truck out what they truck in.

Back