• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.10 versus 4.56

Faz95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Which do you think is better?

1. High pinion Dana 30 and Chrysler 27 spline 8.25 geared at 4:10.

Or

2. Low pinion Dana 30 and Dana 44 geared at 4:56.

Both sets will be locked front and rear. The 8.25 may get converted to 29 spline.

Also swapping in a Tera 4:1 with 2low if that affects any ones thoughts.

Will most likely be running about 6" of lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The LP D30 and the D44, hands down!

The one thing you did not state tire size. But anyway a high pinion 30 with 4.56 and Dana 44 with 4.56 is the best. But being the. Choice you have to pick from do the lp 30 and 44

Oh by the way the 8 1/4 with 29 spline axles is a pretty strong axle. But limited aftermarket support.

What?
I've gears up to 4.88, ARB and Detroit Lockers. AlloyUSA and Revolution Axleshafts.....

There's plenty of aftermarket parts for the 8.25" axle.

Sadly there aren't any Elockers or C-Clip Eliminators, maybe someday though.

Too many variables.
Tire size
Type of wheeling planned
Mods need to install the D44 (perches, shock mounts, etc.)
And the biggie...BUDGET.

Currently 33s
3 to 4 Times a year. Blue black trails at Rauch creek or equivalent.
Dana 44 is totally clean now. I have removed all previous bracket tree. Need to weld on U-bolt illuminators.
I currently own both sets of axles. Trying to do install on minimal additional dollars

Great thing about LP is you can tuck it up nicely at full compression if you're going for that lower center of gravity gig. Thats just my experience though. Pros about 4.10s are that they're a pretty thick cut gear. Would be hard to blow that. But as aforementioned, its all about what you're about.

Currently 33s
3 to 4 Times a year. Blue black trails at Rauch creek or equivalent.
Dana 44 is totally clean now. I have removed all previous bracket tree. Need to weld on U-bolt illuminators.
I currently own both sets of axles. Trying to do install on minimal additional dollars

Auto Tranny - 4.56
Manual Tranny 4.10

Regear the HP to match the D44.
Sell the other two axles to offset the cost.

Is anyone taking into account that OP is in Virginia, wheels in Pennsylvania -- Gotta be a 4 hour drive

Is 33's geared at 4.56 comfortable at highway speeds of 75 - 80 MPH -- how about fuel economy with the higher RPMs?

I'm thinking 4.10 would be better for the daily driver/highway driving of everyday use -- sure 4.56 in the trails would be better but you have to get there 1st

I'm purely speculation -- I have my 1st XJ, want to run 33's but I like to travel north from NJ to NH -- About a 5 hour drive, most at highway speeds of 70+ MPH -- I'd love to hear some thoughts on this

Which do you think is better?

1. High pinion Dana 30 and Chrysler 27 spline 8.25 geared at 4:10.

Or

2. Low pinion Dana 30 and Dana 44 geared at 4:56.

Both sets will be locked front and rear. The 8.25 may get converted to 29 spline.

Also swapping in a Tera 4:1 with 2low if that affects any ones thoughts.

Will most likely be running about 6" of lift.

Is anyone taking into account that OP is in Virginia, wheels in Pennsylvania -- Gotta be a 4 hour drive

Is 33's geared at 4.56 comfortable at highway speeds of 75 - 80 MPH -- how about fuel economy with the higher RPMs?

I'm thinking 4.10 would be better for the daily driver/highway driving of everyday use -- sure 4.56 in the trails would be better but you have to get there 1st

I'm purely speculation -- I have my 1st XJ, want to run 33's but I like to travel north from NJ to NH -- About a 5 hour drive, most at highway speeds of 70+ MPH -- I'd love to hear some thoughts on this

With a 4:1 transfer case it will be a very capable rig on the trail. 4:1 in the differential may be a good choice for highway runs.

the teralow 4.1 kit is well known to have problems, just hope you are aware. otherwise if a 4.1 is in the tc i would go 4.10 s . but i would still use the hp 30 & the 44

Having run both on 33s with an auto, I'd go 4.56. not much difference in highway rpm but pulling hills was way easier. Not sure how steep the hills are around there but there's a few good passes here where it helps.

Not a problem, honestly. I ran 4.88’s on 33’s running 80 down the interstate for hours with no issues and around 14mpg. Same mpg I got stock.

Don't let some these guys scare you! I've got 17 yrs on my LP D30 and Tera-flex 4:1 case with no issues(none). I've been thru the Rubicon, Moab, Ouray, and the Black Hills, but I "rock crawl" and do not "rock race".

the teralow 4.1 kit is well known to have problems, just hope you are aware. otherwise if a 4.1 is in the tc i would go 4.10 s . but i would still use the hp 30 & the 44

What are the problems with the Teralow kit?

What are the problems with the Teralow kit?

The planetary gear set will sometimes self destruct. There is a bronze bushing in there which does not like high RPMs. Terra recommends not exceeding 2800 RPM in any gear so as to keep the bronze bushing from self destructing. I ran one for a while, never had an issue. Ran Redline synthetic ATF fluid in it. Sold the case to someone else, that person still runs it.

Back