NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 4th, 2012, 13:31
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Joel's multipurpose XJ build (rocks/boulevard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno1154 View Post
Yea, and also use something like a B&M 70298. Place it in a good spot and it will help to keep the AW4 high temperatures in check.
Not sure how it compares to the cooler above but I'm already running an oil cooler that was added by Frontier 4x4 during the initial build.

Anyone have a part number for the vent or know if it can be cleaned? The only way my theory makes sense is if the system was able to build up pressure until it burped and I assume the vent is supposed to prevent that. I traced what I think its the line but have yet to pull it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno1154 View Post
Great build,...plenty of attention to details. Every thing come together pretty like a painting by an experiance artist...
For what it's worth I think this is one of the nicer compliments I've had in while, particularly because I personally feel so inexperienced with it comes to off-roading. I'm kind of in the phase of reading a lot and trying to decide what else I should do or what spares I should carry. Seems to be lots of opinions on that.
Old April 4th, 2012, 14:57
NAXJA Forum User

I was climbing a mountain pass in Colorado with the jeep loaded down pretty heavy , and mine boiled over the same way, in overdrive. It's not that the trans builds pressure, its the fluid expanding too much because of the heat, and coming out of the vent. I would suggest doing a fluid and filter change if you haven't already, mine was fairly burnt by the time I got home.
Old April 4th, 2012, 19:06
NAXJA Forum User

Just wanted to say EPIC BUILD! Im getting out of the military shortly and was planning on going to college for mechanical engineering. Seeing your build and your use of the prectical knowledge you gained as an engineer has further confirmed my decision.
Old April 4th, 2012, 20:06
NAXJA Forum User

love this build... i believe a skid similar to yours is in my near future... do you have any measurements from your gas tank skid? if you dont mind me asking
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:33
NAXJA Forum User

You need to post some new info!
Old April 13th, 2012, 18:20
NAXJA Forum User

I know. I've been meaning to get Brian the measurements requested on the gas tank skid too, just haven't had any time. I'd say I'm slacking but the reality is that I just resigned from my job, I'm moving my family across LA to a home we have yet to find, and I start a new job next Thursday. This is all notably harder because I have a two year old and a 2 month old at home. The Jeep's going to have to wait for a bit, as is the Ford 8.8 IRS rear going into my RX7 (Ford rear in a chevy powered mazda, that's cool right?)

The bonus is that the new job comes with a bump in pay and I turn 33 next week. I'm thinking seriously about some RCV axle shafts. Seems easier than worrying about spares and/or pulling out my existing u-joints to do the full circ clip mod. Given I'm only on 32s with 4.10 gears I think my ring and pinion would be OK. It's just so much simpler than jumping up to a D60 and I'd rather drive this thing that work on it indefinitely.

Thoughts?

I have some pretty trick interior storage I'm proud of but otherwise this is getting relatively current in terms of progress. Oh and my trans decided to burp fluid again the other day so I need to ensure the trans is venting properly.

Last edited by frijolee; April 13th, 2012 at 18:23.
Old April 14th, 2012, 14:57
NAXJA Forum User

Do some temperature logging on the left and right side, front and rear of the transmission to see if the exhaust is actually putting heat into the transmission or if it is simply an airflow issue.
Old April 14th, 2012, 16:09
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frijolee View Post
By the way, I drove this without the tail section one time on the freeway. Remind me never to run a turn down. The droning on the freeway was un-livable. So far as I can tell, dumping the exhaust under the car just reflects the sound waves off the ground straight back into the bottom of the vehicle.

If anyone is looking for a cheap exhaust I was momentarily temped by the low buck route from the DynoMax catback
https://www.google.com/search?q=xj+exhaust+dynomax&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.m icrosoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=#hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-US%3AIE-SearchBox&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&q=xj+cat+back+dynomax&oq=xj+cat+back+dynomax&aq =f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=serp.3...7862l8876l2l9094l8l8l0l 0l0l5l234l1449l0j6j2l8l0.frgbld.&psj=1&bav=on.2,or .r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=25828f9a7ae54771&biw=95 2&bih=763

That said, I just couldn’t bring myself to throw those u-clamps back on the Jeep. I think I spent 3x as much in materials for my version, but it’s exactly how I wanted it so I’ll deal.

Underbody armor is next (this is the part where I kind of went off the deep end).
Funny you should say that, I ran the exact same setup on my last XJ and goodness that got old very quickly with a turndown. My brother also has the same setup, but with a tailpipe and is much more tolerable and sounds much better.

Nice exhaust work btw and great attention to detail (your gonna cry when you hear that thin metal scraping and crunching the first time), I love V bands also, I used to work for Wolfe Race Craft where we milled them out for turbo and exhaust setups in house, I tried to use them as much as possible while I could get them cheap.

Last edited by Mosephus; April 14th, 2012 at 16:15.
Old April 14th, 2012, 22:31
my cats breath smells

RCVs are good
Old April 17th, 2012, 15:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianglawson View Post
love this build... i believe a skid similar to yours is in my near future... do you have any measurements from your gas tank skid? if you dont mind me asking

Four plates make up the body of the skid. From the front (closest to the diff).

Vertical plate: 5.25 x 31.5
Horizontal plate: 11.625 x 31.5
Angled plate #1: 9.0 x 31.5
Angled plate #2: 3.5 x 31.5

Sides:
Total length 22.25
Starting closest to the diff (0 = vertical plate)
At 0 it is 8.5 tall
At 11.5 it's still 8.5 tall (horizontal plate length)
At 19.625 it's 4.5 tall at the next apex
At 22.5 it's 2.0 tall with the end squared off.

Beyond that you just need all the flanges. Still cut that out of cardboard and you'll be 75% of the way to a template.
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:11
NAXJA Forum User

Joel, Thanks!!!
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:34
NAXJA Forum User

Still need to get around to posting up a few more things. Life's been pretty crazy with the move and all. Did manage to sneak in a pretty cool family camping trip to Jawbone Canyon (just a bit outside Mojave, CA). My 2.5 year old daughter loves wheeling.

Night wheeling is awesome. Definitely need to track down a lighted whip. That thing was a hoot to follow around...

-Joel
Old June 6th, 2012, 02:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Night wheeling is awesome. Definitely need to track down a lighted whip. That thing was a hoot to follow around...
They didn't have one at the Jawbone store?

Good work.
Old September 5th, 2012, 13:43
NAXJA Forum User

To the above, I've never actually stopped at the Jawbone store to know what they have. Pretty much always went straight in to meet whoever we were meeting.

In the meantime, I've started another big round of work on the rx7 (hoping for north of 550 rwhp now). That means the Jeep's mostly been cruising around serving it's duty as the fall back vehicle with a little bit of wheeling here and there.

About a month back I was in Wildomar, CA checking that out and at the end of the day I found I was stuck in 4wd for quite a while. Finally got out by rolling backwards and forwards a few times and I thought it was behaving normally. Then this last weekend took a buddy and my two year old up to the top of Main Divide (also a SoCal spot).

It's pretty light so I did almost everything in 2WD. That said, when I did go into 4 low at one point (just messing around) there was a pretty terrible clicking noise from the front diff. Kind of a catch and release sound, but not distinct single pop I can point to as part failing followed by clicking. I'm guessing it actually happened last time out and I'm only now seeing the results since it still drives normally in 2wd.

Anyone blown up a spartan locker? That's my guess. I need to tear into it and just see what I find, but with the RX7 down for a while I'm loathe to do it immediately so I thought I'd post up to see if anyone can point to suspects. At the same time, if it's possible I have a chunk of something floating around the front end I don't want to screw something up badly by having lodge in between ring and pinion.
Old September 5th, 2012, 14:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

Anyone blown up a spartan locker? That's my guess. I need to tear into it and just see what I find, but with the RX7 down for a while I'm loathe to do it immediately so I thought I'd post up to see if anyone can point to suspects. At the same time, if it's possible I have a chunk of something floating around the front end I don't want to screw something up badly by having lodge in between ring and pinion.
perhaps you have bent/broken pins.