NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 21st, 2020, 13:31
NAXJA Forum User

2.5 --> 4.0 Swap

Hello,

I have two '96s, one is a Rusty POS with a 4.0 and AW4. I just bought a clean roller for cheap, 2.5 and a 5 speed. You see where this is going.

I would just like some clarification and possibly some advice, it sounds like most things will be plug and play seeing as they both are the same years. The biggest challenge that I can see is swapping over the cooling package and swapping the transmission. From my understanding, I will have to move the motor mounts somewhat and I will have to swap the grill and a radiator support and some other things to get the cooling package and headlights to work properly. It also appears likely I will have to swap the hood or at the very least the hood latch assy. I will keep the 4.10 axles. (perfect for 31's or 33's).

Are there any upgrades/resealing/tune up items you recommend also?
Old May 21st, 2020, 14:22
NAXJA Member

Re: 2.5 --> 4.0 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeretech129 View Post
Hello,

I have two '96s, one is a Rusty POS with a 4.0 and AW4. I just bought a clean roller for cheap, 2.5 and a 5 speed. You see where this is going.

I would just like some clarification and possibly some advice, it sounds like most things will be plug and play seeing as they both are the same years. The biggest challenge that I can see is swapping over the cooling package and swapping the transmission. From my understanding, I will have to move the motor mounts somewhat and I will have to swap the grill and a radiator support and some other things to get the cooling package and headlights to work properly. It also appears likely I will have to swap the hood or at the very least the hood latch assy. I will keep the 4.10 axles. (perfect for 31's or 33's).

Motor mounts should just bolt up.
I had to swap the hood and front sheetmetal holding the radiator and headlights when I did this with an 85. I don't know how this might differ on the other years.
Old May 21st, 2020, 19:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeretech129 View Post
Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man View Post
Motor mounts should just bolt up.
I had to swap the hood and front sheetmetal holding the radiator and headlights when I did this with an 85. I don't know how this might differ on the other years.
Was the sheet metal bolt in or did it require some welding?
Old May 26th, 2020, 19:55
NAXJA Member

On a 96 you shouldn't have to swap any sheet metal. I did the swap on a 87 MJ & everything bolted in.

JIM.
Old Yesterday, 08:55
NAXJA Member #920

84-86 pre-date the 4.0 and as such they only accomodated the 2.5 and 2.8 (GM V6) without modifications.

Jeep modified the metal in 87 when they introduced the 4.0, and since both donor and recipient in your case are post-87 (and the same year), mechanical fitment shouldn't be a problem.