• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new verses old tires

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Just did a repeat 4wd trip on a trail we did some weeks ago.

1st trip used 16 year old Goodyear Wangler MT tires with plenty of tread left. lots of slipping on big rocks, low tracion. Suspect the rubber got hard.

2nd trip used brand new Goodyear Wrangler MT tires. Stuck to the rocks like glue, huge grip increase, also much better highway manners.

On 2 nd trip my line of travel was often straight right over obsticals, on first trip my line was wavey as I had to maneuver more to maintain traction in tough spots.

Should have done this last year when I bought the Jeep.

I will be loving this this winter in Death Valley, verse last trip there using the old tires.

Good investment! My Jeep has got to be at least 20% more capable than before.

If your tires are real old, your missing out on good traction!

Just did a repeat 4wd trip on a trail we did some weeks ago.

1st trip used 16 year old Goodyear Wangler MT tires with plenty of tread left. lots of slipping on big rocks, low tracion. Suspect the rubber got hard.

2nd trip used brand new Goodyear Wrangler MT tires. Stuck to the rocks like glue, huge grip increase, also much better highway manners.

On 2 nd trip my line of travel was often straight right over obsticals, on first trip my line was wavey as I had to maneuver more to maintain traction in tough spots.

Should have done this last year when I bought the Jeep.

I will be loving this this winter in Death Valley, verse last trip there using the old tires.

Good investment! My Jeep has got to be at least 20% more capable than before.

If your tires are real old, your missing out on good traction!
We all told you that!

yep. mine are about 10 years old starting with weather check and crack. Had to pull a friend up some Arkansas rocks (sharp!) lost quite a few lugs on the MTs. Trying to get lifted another 2 inches before I spring for new rubber.

Back