NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 12th, 2018, 20:04
XJholic

What year steering column swaps into what?

Just needing some clarifacation. What years swap into what? I've read 90-91 can only swap in same years. Read that anything pre 94 is a direct swap. Vehicle in question is a 90 ax15 with the HO. Wanting to swap in a column from a 93 AW4.

Cheers
Old June 12th, 2018, 22:09
Piece of Fish!

Re: What year steering column swaps into what?

Other than potential minor differences, should be plug n pray.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old June 13th, 2018, 05:53
XJholic

Does it matter if the 90 is a Renix? Basically asking for a friend who is wanting to buy my column from my 93.
Old June 13th, 2018, 10:32
NAXJA Member

Same for 87-94. Then the early airbag models 95-96. Then 97+
Old June 14th, 2018, 10:12
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

It's not quite the same from 87-94. 91-94 use the Chrysler double sided ignition key that's shared with the doors. I'm not sure if 90-down cylinders and stuff will fit.

Those year breaks 1990JEEPXJ gave are otherwise good. No idea what 84-86 used, probably similar to 87-90 but I've not seen enough to be sure.

Remember that column shifted auto ones may be different for 3 speed vs 4 speed autos.

Also the ignition switch is different on straight and tilt columns, but that's not a big deal.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old June 18th, 2018, 07:25
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
It's not quite the same from 87-94. 91-94 use the Chrysler double sided ignition key that's shared with the doors. I'm not sure if 90-down cylinders and stuff will fit.

Those year breaks 1990JEEPXJ gave are otherwise good. No idea what 84-86 used, probably similar to 87-90 but I've not seen enough to be sure.

Remember that column shifted auto ones may be different for 3 speed vs 4 speed autos.

Also the ignition switch is different on straight and tilt columns, but that's not a big deal.
Yes the key is different after 91-94. I got lucky when I snagged a 94 column from the JY as it still had the key in it. But they are otherwise plug and play
Old June 18th, 2018, 18:29
NAXJA Forum User

What year steering column swaps into what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
Yes the key is different after 91-94. I got lucky when I snagged a 94 column from the JY as it still had the key in it. But they are otherwise plug and play
84-94 are essentially the same column with a few differences.

I984 is unique because it the last year of a certain amc key design, 85-90 are basically the same depending on options like tilt. Key change in 1991 and it was different in some respects from the 80s XJ, something in the 91-94 years was different in removing and replacing the key cylinder. I think it was a 94 column i put in a 91, swapped the key cylinder out with some difficulty,’mostly because all the wright ups were on the 80s cylinders. The guts of the columns remain the same 84-94, if you have the key no reason a 94 column wouldn’t work in a 84 XJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 19th, 2018, 11:10
XJholic

Awesome! Thanks for the info.
Old June 26th, 2018, 15:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post

I pulled the lock cylinder from my 86 2.8/AX5 and with square key and release lever, then replaced it with a cylinder from a 92 with 4.0/AW4. It's a Saginaw column either way. The early cylinder secured with a screw, the later with a tab in slot. The column has accommodation for both.

Now using late model door lock cylinders from a four door in an early two door required linkage modification, but now I have one key in my AMC XJ.

The only notable differences with early/late or 3/4 speed autos would be the shift interlock cable.
Old June 26th, 2018, 19:05
NAXJA Forum User

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdn8uUTAyfQ