NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 8th, 2018, 14:11
NAXJA Member

Evaporator core, pulling dash?s

I've been reading the service manual asks to remove way to much, and this job can be done by pulling the dash away enough to get the hvac box out. True?

Also I read a flexhead 11mm wrench is helpful though I can't find one anywhere. Can I work around this with sockets/ swivel heads?

Other than time is there anything special I'll need that I'm missing? The ac is already discharged.

Thank you for your insight

Last edited by 4x4JeePmaNthINg; June 8th, 2018 at 14:32.
Old June 8th, 2018, 16:17
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Evaporator core, pulling dash?s

Seems like many do it with just pulling the passenger side away. Not taking it completely off. As far as the flexhead goes:

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-Fl.../dp/B0002SR04O
Old June 8th, 2018, 21:00
NAXJA Member

Dash is out but I'm stuck on what's holding the box in, I need someone that knows haha, I would be done by now if I could just get the box out

Nm got it finally

Last edited by 4x4JeePmaNthINg; June 8th, 2018 at 23:26.
Old June 9th, 2018, 12:30
NAXJA Member

Can AC be fully recharged with canisters?
Old June 9th, 2018, 13:48
NAXJA Forum User

There are either nuts or bolts on the firewall side you have to remove.
Old June 9th, 2018, 13:49
NAXJA Forum User

...it can be recharged by canisters but yo have to make sure you have the proper amount of oil in it.
Old June 9th, 2018, 15:35
NAXJA Member

Any tips on getting the lines back onto the evaporator core?

The little one is fighting me pretty bad
Old June 10th, 2018, 13:37
NAXJA Member

Well the lines are on. After fighting and pushing the hell out of them, they needed a lil love tap, and they clicked into place. Saaaweeet!
Time to recharge the AC, just rented a pump and gauges so this should be fun. I've never worked on the ac before.
Old June 10th, 2018, 19:40
NAXJA Forum User

Did you put any oil on the o-rings?
Old June 13th, 2018, 00:37
NAXJA Member

i did add some oil to the O rings. Im surprised it was that difficult to get back on.
I rented the proper gear and re charged the system.

this really isnt that big of a job as many make it seem to be, granted its time consuming, but rather easy and kinda neat to learn whats all under the dash. I would suggest Anyone that can change their oil to go for doing this yourself.
Old June 15th, 2018, 07:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
i did add some oil to the O rings. Im surprised it was that difficult to get back on.
I rented the proper gear and re charged the system.

this really isnt that big of a job as many make it seem to be, granted its time consuming, but rather easy and kinda neat to learn whats all under the dash. I would suggest Anyone that can change their oil to go for doing this yourself.
TIME is the biggest issue with this job. Took me about 14 hours over two days on the one I did a few years back. If the heater core or evaporator go in my current 99, I doubt I'll be doing it again. Well, I say that but as long as I could find a ride to work, I'd probably tear it apart and go for it again

To anyone who does this... DO replace BOTH the heater core and evaporator while you are in there! Would be a real shame to go through all that to replace one or the other then have the other one fail! IIRC both parts are not that expensive either, so it just makes sense.
Old June 15th, 2018, 12:17
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

It only took me about 4 hours to do mine, but I've parted out enough XJs to know exactly which wrenches I needed for what. I'm not sure if you were reading something I wrote about that 11mm flex head, but that is in fact one of the recommended tools I generally list.

Did you replace the foam gaskets at the top of the HEVAC box and front where it seals to the firewall and plenum? If you didn't, good chance you will be enjoying a footwell full of rainwater every time you park nose-up in a rainstorm in the future, just warning you. Guess how I found out...

Normally if you discharge your AC system nicely, you don't need to add any oil except whatever was sitting in the evap core when you replaced it, and what was sitting in the receiver/dryer/accumulator, which is supposed to be replaced anytime you open the AC system. You can find estimates of how much oil to add for each of these parts online somewhere or other. Glad you are using a vacuum pump, a lot of people don't and it's not the right way to do AC work.

Other than that I have nothing of value to add that hasn't already been mentioned.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.