• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231HD sprocket and chain in a NP231?

lazyxj

NAXJA Member #1310
Will the sprockets and chain from a NP231 HD (from a Dodge Dakota) fit into a NP231 (the stock unit in my 2001 XJ)?
Does the HD unit have a different case? Will the other parts from the NP231 HD interchange?

Take a look at my article on http://www.madxj.com about this very issue. I believe the Dodge 231HD also uses a larger mode shift collar, shift fork, and mode hub in addition to the wider sprocket. I used a wider sprocket from a 231C (chevy) or np207 that uses the same size shift collar, shift fork, and mode hub as the Jeep 231 in your '98. If the links in my article work, I would suggest checking those out too. Jeff

In TEN YEARS I have never heard ANYONE ever break a sprocket or chain in a 231 or 242, in real life, or the internet.

I really can't see the mod being worthwhile.

if I were going to spend money on a oem t-case, I'd get a heavy duty mainshaft.

ya know, this is where numerically high R&P ratios are beneficial.

the deeper gears you run, the less strain on the mainshaft and guts.

How about replacing a stretched chain? I've heard of many folks doing that. BTW, I am a cheap ass, so I did the wider chain and sprockets as well as a 6 pinion planetary out of a 241 using parts located at a recycling center for pretty cheap. I also put in a AA HD SYE at the same time. Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
How about replacing a stretched chain? I've heard of many folks doing that. BTW, I am a cheap ass, so I did the wider chain and sprockets as well as a 6 pinion planetary out of a 241 using parts located at a recycling center for pretty cheap. I also put in a AA HD SYE at the same time. Jeff

a 6 gear planetary is way groovy!

Beezil said:
In TEN YEARS I have never heard ANYONE ever break a sprocket or chain in a 231 or 242, in real life, or the internet.

if I were going to spend money on a oem t-case, I'd get a heavy duty mainshaft.

Ditto that - twice!
I've known several 231s to have chains so stretched and worn that they slapped the cases like crazy and skipped over the teeth of the sprockets. But I've never heard of one breaking, and when fit with a new chain they work perfectly.

That said I do love my JB Conversions HD mainshaft and 4.88s!!!!!!!!!!

Leave it to the boys in RI - saw a stocker with the chain through the side of a 231 just a few months ago. remember, some people can break anything! It may not be common, but they do break.

Back