• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.5" Lift - Ford 8.8 Pinion Angle

Wolperdinger

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about ready to start welding the tubes and brackets on my 8.8 to swap into my XJ. Does anybody have any real life pinion angle measurements with a 6.5" lift? I know all Jeeps are different; just looking for a good starting point. The Iron Rock instructions say to set it at 10°, but that doesn't seem to be enough. I've seen threads saying 17°, but that sounds like too much. I guess I could measure what I have now with my Dana 35 and go from there?

By brackets, I assume you are going to weld some new spring perches to your axle.

You can temporarily install everything "u-bolt loose" to your XJ, starting at 10 degrees pinion angle. With wheels on and the XJ resting on the ground (full weight on suspension) , check your drive line angles. You can make any pinion adjustments by rotating the axle until you fine tune your drive line angles.

Throw a couple of tack welds on the axle and spring perches. Jack up rear end, remove wheels and finish welding the perches in place.

Back