• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help steering giving me headaches

paredxj

NAXJA Forum User
I've had 2xjs with the same issue. I have a 98XJ i'm running 8in rustys offroad long arm kit 37x14 irocs with rockkrawler steering upgrade with agr rock ram hydro steering assist. I thought i had it dialed in but i don't i've got great turning to my passenger side and dam near nothing to my driver side i've tried dam near everything that i can think of to adjust it and and nothing seems to work. So and and all help welcome thank you.

I've had 2xjs with the same issue. I have a 98XJ i'm running 8in rustys offroad long arm kit 37x14 irocs with rockkrawler steering upgrade with agr rock ram hydro steering assist. I thought i had it dialed in but i don't i've got great turning to my passenger side and dam near nothing to my driver side i've tried dam near everything that i can think of to adjust it and and nothing seems to work. So and and all help welcome thank you.

Did you check the ram to see if it is the limiting factor? Disconnect it from the system then turn the steering full left and right checking whether or not steering knuckles hit the bump stop.

What other parts were added to the system? Post up. Help will be easier if all additions or changes are known.

disconnect at the ram at the tie rod and see if it moves both directions, and if it moves in the proper direction.

The ram is a 6in ram and i have it coming off the diff to the tie rod it's split at 3in. I'll try to upload pics off my phone tonight.

Don't the tie rod/draglink move than 6" lock to lock? I do not know,...never paid it any attention.

My earlier post was not so much about the amount of travel the ram have in inches, but rather do the ram have enough travel to allow full steering angle. Disconnect the ram from the rest system and check then report back.

988a0f730dcc719300d86b02a019cbcc.jpg
82ea6c3423f00f10cce0dd8662a62ebf.jpg
6f484f9cc5ea783bd39498005a781215.jpg
ca28056a69764aa0c27c339c3fe95041.jpg
5a304dbcbdf5595016d2f0fb4f4c3729.jpg
3d353b71e0335f2999ac76ed74e8d246.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Techno means to unbolt the hydro ram from the steering gear, so you can see if the "unmodified" setup has proper travel...

That is one heck of a contraption you have there,...give me eye strain just looking at the pictures.

From my angle, it seem there is contact between the drag link, tie rod and the ram mounting clamp on the tie rod.
The clamp on the tie rod seem new, How long have it been there?
What are some of additions, subtractions and/or modifications done to the steering recently?
My suggestion is,...remove the ram mount from the tie rod, have one person turn the steering wheel full lock left to right while another get under there and look for interference or contacts between the steering linkages.
Repeat the process with the ram fully attached. Something is not right under there and the pictures do not show every thing.

The jeep was just completed in December I took it out on the trails 2 times this year. I’ve had the hydro set up for 4yrs but this was the first year on the trails with it. The drag link and tie rod do touch a little. The clamp just kiss very little. The one on the diff is clear. I thought the trac bar mount was hitting but that’s also clear. I’m hoping that’s a good thing when you say it’s one heck of a contraption

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

disconnect the ram from the tie rod, make sure you are getting lock to lock.
verify that the ram is also pushing in the correct direction.
measure to verify that your ram is long enough.
cycle the suspension and steering to ensure you get lock to lock at full jounce, rebound, and articulated

I removed the hydro set up from it all together, no change in the turning, also looked to see if anything was rubbing and outside the drag link sitting on top of the tie rod nothing is rubbing. I took the pitmen arm off the steering box to see if the box was binding up and it was turning good.

I removed the hydro set up from it all together, no change in the turning, also looked to see if anything was rubbing and outside the drag link sitting on top of the tie rod nothing is rubbing. I took the pitmen arm off the steering box to see if the box was binding up and it was turning good.

It is hard to diagnose a problem from hundreds of miles away. You need to help us so we could better help you. It is obvious something is not right with the steering system.
You disconnect the pitman arm from the steering box and the box is good. OK, good first start. You also removed the hydraulic ram from the system. Now, continue to disconnect and test each item independently Remove the tie rods at each knuckle and cycle the knuckle back and forth through its full swing in both directions. Do this with both wheels off the ground.

If no problem is found in this way, then re-connect the tie rods at the wheel end/steering knuckle. Leave the pitman arm and hydraulic ram disconnected and again try to move both wheels connected through is full travel left to right. There have got to be something preventing full travel and it should be pretty obvious if each piece is isolated and tested.

Quick and stupid questions,...
Did you change the steering box recently?
Is the pitman arm XJ OEM length?

Back